One-eyed Black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psharifi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 black moor goldfish. I had them in an outdoor pond for a week. I went to clean the pond today, to find both of them with a fungal infection and one missing an eye. I bought primafix for the water (both pond and now tank). I don't know what else to do and was wondering if there was anybody out there who can help me. I would prefer to keep the one eyed fish alive as long as possible, if that sounds inhumane to anyone here I understand but he is swimming fine. It takes him a little longer to find food, but he still eats.

As I understand it,black moor's eyes are very vunerable to all sorts of things, but able to live a relatively good life one-eyed.

First you have to figure out if it was the fungus that destroyed the eye. Sometimes it could be just knocking it or an over aggressive feeding frenzy that when wrong. Assuming the pond is outdoors, then it's also possible a predator tried to grab the eye...

So if the fungus is under control, I'd check out some salt baths to help heal over the eye. Also I saw some more recommendation on this on Koko's Goldfish site.

I have 2 black moor goldfish. I had them in an outdoor pond for a week. I went to clean the pond today, to find both of them with a fungal infection and one missing an eye. I bought primafix for the water (both pond and now tank). I don't know what else to do and was wondering if there was anybody out there who can help me. I would prefer to keep the one eyed fish alive as long as possible, if that sounds inhumane to anyone here I understand but he is swimming fine. It takes him a little longer to find food, but he still eats.

That sad to hear, but not uncommon. On a good day Black Moors are blind as bats, at least mine are lol. They do just fine with one eye and as long as there isn't too much competition for food, it should live a long life. If you have comets in with it, there may be an issue at feeding time.

Inhumane is one of my LFS, selling goldies for $1 with both eyes missing. Can't imagine anyone buying one, but they were gone the last time I went there.

That sad to hear, but not uncommon. On a good day Black Moors are blind as bats, at least mine are lol. They do just fine with one eye and as long as there isn't too much competition for food, it should live a long life. If you have comets in with it, there may be an issue at feeding time.

Inhumane is one of my LFS, selling goldies for $1 with both eyes missing. Can't imagine anyone buying one, but they were gone the last time I went there.

There were comets and koi in the pond. Luckily though both of my black moors are now chilling in a tank. So far Albert (the one missing an eye) is doing quite fine. And yea that is pretty inhumane selling blind goldies. I can't imagine a parent giving their kids goldfish missing eyes. The kid might need therapy after that one:lol:

It was a baby lionhead (whatever) goldie, that my daughter saw and pointed out to me. The whole tank had one eyed goldies with the one blind one. I think the one eyed were $2, no eyes $1. Kinda sad, but LFS gotta make a buck I guess :(.

that's really horrible i mean its not even ethical. well that's big business for ya keep pushing product to make that buck im 14 and i can see all of this its sad thats when you know companies and government needs to step it up were not blind here

Back
Top Bottom