One fish dead... :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Zebra Danios was found floating in the tank today.. :(

The one that died was "the runt" as I called him, since day 1 he was hanging out on the bottom of the tank, not doing anything really, barely eating.

Now heres my question. I am currently cycling my tank. Started with 4 zebra danios. Started on or around the 26th of August. My current levels are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .05
Nitrate: 0

Now, I have no doubt that he was sick to start. He was never very active and barely ate. How long before Ammonia will start to build up? It's been a week or so now, and it still is the yellow color for 0.

Thanks...

;)

Sorry. 29 gal. I've read from a few days to a few weeks for the ammonia to start building up.. but i dont know whats accurate

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .05
Nitrate: 0

Something is amiss with these test results. You will have ammonia before nitrite. Nitrite is the breakdown of ammonia, and nitrate the further breakdown of the nitrite. What kind of test kit are you using?

Still however, sounds like the danio was sick from the beginning.

When I first started with my tank I had a few Zebras. One of them was smaller and more timid, he always hid and the others chased him a bit (but i'm told this is playful in this species) I assumed he died of starvation becasue he never came out to eat :(

Hmm.. I dunno.

I just have a Master Test Kit (for freshwater of course), and its possible that it has a little coloration to it, but it really seems to be yellow, which is 0. The nitrite test defentally shows blue however.

One thing maybe.. is I do wash out the test tubes, but only once. (I fill it up with tank water, dump it, then fill and test.) Could this be an issue?

I fill it to the 3mil mark, add the scoop of powder.. then shake, then add the drops, shake for 20 sec, then let sit for 15 min. I followed all the directions, but I just don't see any color difference from 0.

I'm going to do a pwc tomorrow, just in case Im screwing something up.

Back
Top Bottom