One of My cherry barbs got "heavy" and is always s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my cherry barbs for almost a year now and haven't had a single problem with them until a few days ago. I found one of my barbs laying on the bottom of the tank (belly on the floor) breathing slightly faster than normal. He's moved locations but tends to stay on one side of the tank. A few hours ago I saw him spur to life and start swimming around the tank, but it was far from normal. He was having buoyancy problems. He would keep on sinking like he had some sort of anchor attached to him. After 30-60 seconds on struggling to stay afloat he just sunk again to the bottom. He's still breathing like he's out of breath. I don't know what's wrong with him. He does seem a little fatter than usual as well, but it just may be my imagination.

All my water params are normal, I haven't added anything new to the tank, and all of my other fish (including the other barbs) are acting just fine.

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?

Edit:

He definitely is getting fat, a little pale in the middle and his scales are protruding. I think he's got that sickness (columnaris or something).

Scales protruding = Dropsy alert!

Columnaris is basically body fungus. You can use the same meds though to treat both infections. Grab some anit-fungal meds, admit the fishy to the ER, and treat. If caught earlier, it's possible to cure the infection.

I've had luck with Fungus Clear Tablets from Jungle, or even Maracyn-2 from Mardel. Both can be picked up at any LFS or retail store.

Good luck!

Dropsy is a fungal/bacterial infection. In regards to it's origins, I'm not sure. My only guess would be that, like Ich, fungus and bacteria are present in every water supply. The bodies immune system (of fish, and humans) usually fights these off as soon as they enter the body. When fish get stressed out, I think it supresses their immune system, and this could have caused one of the particles of bacteria/fungus to move in and infect.

It's not too late if you get started now. I've had one look deathly ill before with dropsy and it made it through. It being fungal, it could be contagious. I'd move the fish if you could to a diff tank. If not though, treat right away.

Good luck!

devilish is right...there are no certain causes for dropsy...sometimes it is caused by overcrowding and poor living conditions...but sometimes just effects a group of fish even in a well maintained setup...since the origin is unknown, it may or may not be contagious...
so quickly follow devil's instructions and ensure the best possible care (water - temperature) and a broad spectrum antibiotic like maracyn-2...
this is all i can muster....hope someone more knowledgeable comes along...

btw...it sounds awkward but your 12g is slightly overstocked...so you might have to maintan a slightly higher frequency of maintenance...

hope the cherry fights the dropsy off...

If it is dropsy (the fish bloats up because it can't release excess fluid) once it is showing those signs it is probably a goner, but as soon as the fish looks iffy it should be removed to a hospital tank to protect the other fish.

Key word=probably...not always though. Atleast not in my experience.

That is good to know, DT. I think it was Madasafish who started a thread about the general lack of success in treating fish illnesses, except for things like fin rot and ich. I am glad to hear there are fish out there being treated successfully - this is a tough illness, though.

Back
Top Bottom