One of my fish might have ick. I have high temps. Metro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed I did mean you Aneamals.

I would slowly start lowering the temperature. A high temp is more likely to hurt than help if you are not dealing with Ich.

Mine started that way. I could only see the spots if I got close and in certain lighting. Then it boomed and one clearly had it. With heat, salt, and ich guard they appear to be getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The reason I am hesitant to believe it is Ich is that it is only effecting the caudal and dorsal fins. Also, with the temps he has been running before he was able to get the temp to 86 I would have expected the existing visible Ich to be gone and replaced by new Ich spots.

That's true. I only said what I did because my ich started like his and I hoped it was just the new led lighting showing tiny flaws on the one platys fin. I was wrong. I blame petsmart and their inability to control parasites due to all tanks using the same water.

These are the best photos I could take where the fins were clearest.
img_3087724_0_99ce0fc05d361ab9b423147aeae5b156.jpg

img_3087724_1_67620b638cb1369b58bfbb1fdddd15bc.jpg

img_3087724_2_2e3067985a48ba5192fb995eaf5790b7.jpg

img_3087724_3_1a44bcb0e60601fcb05f2bbdafa22e04.jpg

img_3087724_4_4781d7909dec4067d8154773552bcaea.jpg

The specks aren't really noticeable, and one of the photos looks like the tail fin has a huge white smudge, but it's just the dirty glass hehe.
There IS one spot that I can see in each photo, it's on a lower part of tail fin, just a tiny white dot.

That's true. I only said what I did because my ich started like his and I hoped it was just the new led lighting showing tiny flaws on the one platys fin. I was wrong. I blame petsmart and their inability to control parasites due to all tanks using the same water.

Did you QT your fish for at least 2-4 weeks ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

When fish get ick or velvet, do they immediately become lethargic and stop eating? Even though they only have 1 or 3 spots?

I've had those spots show up on fins and eventually disappear all on their own. I know what ich is, but I don't know what that is. As dalto eluded to, ich spreads to the body, eventually covering the fish, so if that's not happening then it's probably not ich.

I've had those spots show up on fins and eventually disappear all on their own. I know what ich is, but I don't know what that is. As dalto eluded to, ich spreads to the body, eventually covering the fish, so if that's not happening then it's probably not ich.
Ok, awesome. That's makes me feel better. XD

Ahh guys! Things are not going well! Now my fish has MORE spots, and even the little one is getting spots too! I'm raising the temperature again. Could this really be ick? Should I buy some aquarium salt? Any brands I should get over others?
The fish are acting a little bit more jittery than usual, even the laid back big one. But they are still eating apparently.

Are the spots on the fish as well or just the fins?

Pics would really be helpful.

Are the spots on the fish as well or just the fins?

Pics would really be helpful.
I can't seem to notice spots on their bodies. I can only find them on their fins when they pass through the daylight. The spots are really really tiny, so maybe they do have them on their bodies, but it's hard to tell. I will try to take some more pictures today.

Thanks for the pictures. I hate to do this, but any chance you can clean the glass and then take new picks? I think that could help greatly.

Thanks for the pictures. I hate to do this, but any chance you can clean the glass and then take new picks? I think that could help greatly.

I agree on the glass as it's pretty difficult to determine. Don't use glass cleaner. Wipe it with fresh water on a damp cloth then paper towel dry the water spots off.

Haha, that's totally fine, I get it. XD I did try to clean the glass actually, but I really gotta clean it more. Although, a lot of those smudges are actually bubbles from the filter. I will have to take the photos tomorrow though, as it's late where I am.

I agree on the glass as it's pretty difficult to determine. Don't use glass cleaner. Wipe it with fresh water on a damp cloth then paper towel dry the water spots off.

Awesome! I'll try that!

Back
Top Bottom