one sick mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lupus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi,

i have one (remaining) mollie that recently, has scales that
stick out (dropsy).

is there still hope for my fish? it could of been a week that it had it. there is no sign of it appearing bloated.

i treated it for ich recently and am curious if that had any factor in its current condition.

thanks

(i did have 2 mollies, but due to ignorance i did not treat the other well for ich)

Well, I have heard that most of the time a fish with dropsy dies. Transfer it somewhere else so you can treat it separately. Try giving the fish salt baths between treatments...2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons...let the fish swim in the salt water for about 20 min and then transfer it back to a quarentine tank or what ever it is you can use as one. Keep changing about 20% of water after each medicine treatment and add some stress coat. Lets hope your fish is one of the lucky ones and recovers.

you have a fish with scales sticking out that is not bloated?? i have never seen one like that....yes, they do usually die, sometimes antibiotics will help, depends on the source of the dropsy---and a mollie likes a little salt in their water anyway, so i am sure she wouldn't mind if you added a little---i don't know how effective it would be, but if you are going to take her from freshwater to a saltbath , you need to watch her, especially if she's weak, don't just walk away and leave her --any signs of stress and take her out immediately and return her to her tank--she does not need to be in a community tank with healthy fish though, she could infect them with her bug :(

Back
Top Bottom