Opinions--ich issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I had a few ich spots last (what I assumed were ich spots, better safe than sorry) and raised the heat last week--I started Wednesday, I think, and hit about 88 degrees Thursday. By Friday, the Panda corys were showing serious stress signs. They had no ich spots, so I figured it was probably the raised heat so I pulled them out. They've been in a bucket with a sponge filter running. I plan to start lowering the temperatures back to normal Sunday or Monday--ten day treatment (much more than 3 days after the last ich spot was seen since they were all--if you can count 3 to 5 all--gone by Thursday *lol*).

I'm debating whether I should leave the Pandas in their bucket and put them back in once the temperature's lowered or earlier in case they have spores. They show no signs of ich that I can see--I'm assuming any cysts they had dropped off and were in the water column or attached to plants or substrate so didn't get picked up when they got netted. I hope, at least. They get a daily almost 100% water change (out of town, so first couple days they were in there they didn't, but have since). Whatcha think? I have a feeling I'm overthinking this. >.>

I'm no expert but I have a feeling 88degrees is way too much heat I'm surprised they are still alive. If you are doing 100% water changes are you also cleaning the gravel/plants? By putting them in a cooler tank right after they've been warm you are putting them in way too much stress. Put them in the warm tank now and let it cool off slowly. First I'd take out everything in the tank and change the water. Put them back in the empty tank for a few days to monitor. When you feel they are healed then add new gravel/plants.

Good luck!

Yeah...55 gallon fairly heavily planted tank, so not pulling everything out *lol* Everything I've read says 86+, and 89 will kill the parasite outright if the critters can handle it--the Sterba's and Black Neons that are in there are loving it up *lol*. They are good in mid 70's to low 80's, so not bothered by the higher temps + surface agitation, as opposed to the Pandas that have a top comfortable temp of 77, hence why they got pulled out. That tank is doing just fine.

The isolation tank for the corys are getting the almost 100% changes, and there's no gravel or decorations, just bare bottom. They got acclimated and the water started out warmer and was allowed to cool to a comfy temp in the iso tank--no plop and drop. They've been there long enough, they either got stressed or didn't--putting them back in the high heat WILL stress them out severely.

My question is whether it would be worth it to stress them with the heat to ensure any parasites on them get killed or just let them wait until the big tank cools off before returning them, as so far I see no signs of ich and am continuing to monitor.

My concern would be returning them to an ich-free tank and it ends up they are sick themselves.

As I'm sure you know, when you treat for ich, you treat all fish and the entire tank. By not doing so, you have jeopardized your success.

I agree that 88 is too high, I would never go up to 89. 86 seems to do the trick just fine and I've never had a fish that couldn't survive that temp.

Corys are sensitive anyway. I think that you may be giving them additional stress. Just my 2 cents.

I don't disagree, and yes, I do know and had planned to treat everyone in the tank as recommended. Unfortunately, by the time we hit 82 or 83, the Pandas were not doing well at all *shrug* That one was a judgment call on whether the treatment would stress them out more than moving them into a cooler tank and possibly needing to treat separately. And the thermostat is not particularly precise degree-wise--it seems to shift between 86 and 87, possibly 88, over the course of the day according to the thermometer, which may or may not be precise (precision when talking degree increments is hard to get without digital *lol*). Since the fish in there aren't bothered, I've not worried about it.

Just got a good look at the Pandas today--they look like they have some spots showing up, so I'm just going to treat with meds in their tank since they seem really sensitive to the heat, and are sensitive to salt. The big tank is doing fine, so I'll keep the Pandas in isolation until they're healed.

I appreciate the input--it did make me think about what I had decided to do and why and whether something needed to be changed if I get hit again. :)

Just my 2 pence worth. Be careful using meds with the pandas I nearly wiped my corys out using ich meds they really don't like the formaldehyde (I think that's the one-not by my med bottle) in it. Good luck!

Treating "Ich"

Hello Kay...

The temperature for treating the "Ich" parasites is 86 degrees, so your tank is a little high. Fish typically don't mind a little higher, but your plants don't do well in it.

Your Corys are very senative to changes in water conditions. So, it would be good to keep them out of the main tank until you return it to normal conditions and then let it run for a day or two. Then, you can move your Corys.

It's good to keep the tank water extremely clean. Once everything returns to normal, it would be good to follow a sound water change routine, so the parasites don't return. I remove and replace at least half the tank water in my tanks every week. I also add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of my water change water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the tank water.

By flushing a lot pure, treated water through your tank, you'll guarantee stable water conditions and that's the most important thing for your fish and plants too.

B

Planning on using Kordon Ich Attack--herb derivative, no formaldahyde. I'm one of those weirdos who prefers to try the more natural stuff first, then if they don't work then go for the big guns. Thanks for the heads up, though--I'll keep that in mind for future! ^_^

No thank you for introducing me to natural treatment! I shall have to see if it's available in the uk! Would hate to go through the stress of nearly killing them off again. Also with adding salt my pandas hated it and did real bad had to do a HUGE pwc to perk them up again but that's in my experience :)

Hello Kay...

The temperature for treating the "Ich" parasites is 86 degrees, so your tank is a little high. Fish typically don't mind a little higher, but your plants don't do well in it.

Your Corys are very senative to changes in water conditions. So, it would be good to keep them out of the main tank until you return it to normal conditions and then let it run for a day or two. Then, you can move your Corys.

It's good to keep the tank water extremely clean. Once everything returns to normal, it would be good to follow a sound water change routine, so the parasites don't return. I remove and replace at least half the tank water in my tanks every week. I also add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of my water change water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the tank water.

By flushing a lot pure, treated water through your tank, you'll guarantee stable water conditions and that's the most important thing for your fish and plants too.

B

Thanks ^_^ already do 50% weekly, more often if nitrates are higher than what I want. I did a lot of research into the salt and am saving it for non-cory attacking pathogens. So far the plants don't seem bothered by the heat--that was definitely a worry, and was ready to change options if they got bothered. The bacopa has put on another inch and a half in height since, though, so think they're ok :ROFLMAO:

No thank you for introducing me to natural treatment! I shall have to see if it's available in the uk! Would hate to go through the stress of nearly killing them off again. Also with adding salt my pandas hated it and did real bad had to do a HUGE pwc to perk them up again but that's in my experience :)

The Kordon Ich Attack is based off naphthoquinones, if you can't necessarily find one that states that it's for ich. If I could figure out how to go straight to the herbs to treat fish, I'd probably do it--black walnut and I think pomegranate contain the chemicals, but don't know enough to dose. The black walnut caught my attention because it's used to treat dogs with heartworms. Interesting, no? :brows:

Back
Top Bottom