Oranda Problem..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Whelp here's the deal I have an Oranda that has white cottony growths on its puffy part of its head. It looked fungal so I treated with Fungus Cure by Aquarium Pharm. Obviously being as I'm here it did not work. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what I should do? I've seen this thing sorta before but not with mine..The end result was the puff seemed to erode away after the fungus took hold and the fish ended up dying. I do not wish for this to happen to me. So any help would be deeply appreciated.. TIA

I suspect a columnaris infection as that can be mistaken for a fungal infection; hard to tell without a pic, but since the antifungals didn't work that would be my next guess. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as oxytetracycline or kanacyn would be the recommended treatment.

Thank-You so much...which would you suggest to be the best antibiotic? I'll pick it up fist thing tomorrow..Actually would it be safe to treat with something else this soon? I guess i really don't have a choice though..

Hate to ask, but until lately you were usually in the salty section.

By now reading through posts, you knooow your goldie should be in a 10- 15 gallon all by its self..larger with company right? your oranda is not in a tank smaller than that is it?
And how long has that particular tank been running? And how good is the filtration?

Those aside, what temp were you keeping your goldie at and what is his diet? Those are the next two factors that make your golds pop up with crud.
Specially too warm. My grandfather's showfish used to get gross in the summer. His ponds were chilled , his tanks were not. I wish I had helped treat them and was a better diseasse troubleshooter... heh, I had thought that was the dreaded "ick". They would end up sporting slimy fur coats by the weeks end. Only the moors and orandas and such. Specially in grow out tanks. His koi were alway stupendous.

Kanacyn is prolly the best of today's available anitbiotics, it is not yet overused ...or good ole jungles fizzy tab for fungus.

But golds also get fuzzy spots if there has been a pH crash. And maybe there is something bacterial or an injury and the fungus is overlaying it.Golds respond well to the old standbys like copper and salt. They can take a prety strong salt bath (a separate from living quarters dip)
Good ol Salt will often cure bacterial AND parasitical AND fungal problems at the same time. On a good sized gold, Iodine can be used to swab a sore and will often sort out a bacterial AND fungal problem simultaneously. You can use an antibiotic food - such as Medigold - AND an external med at the same time.

BTW if fungus cure is like super fungus plus it has malachite green and/or formalin and your cycle is now toast.
also with golds..change water..then change it again. Just think "coldwater discus".

I've done FW for 11years and this particular tank has been running now for almost 4yrs and its a 60gal. with just 4 Orandas and 1 Lion Head. I have 2 AC500's filtering do to Goldie's High Bio-Load. My Parameters checked ok. This fish was the last one we've gotten and it was added after QT about 3weeks ago. This fish seemed fine after QT unless I missed it. (which with my luck I wouldn't doubt). Temp is on the cool side. Last I checked it was 70. Fungus cure didn't have malachite or fomalin in it that much I do know. The Diet is a variety of Goldie flakes, pellets, etc.. with occassional veggies tossed in for them.. And no I never use Tetra and Wardley garbage foods.

Before you get too excited, I would caution that white spots in the Wen (head growth) of orandas may be normal.

They can get pimples like growths in the wen as they grow, and this is supposed to be normal & do not require treatment. Also, sometimes things can get stuck in the wen & all it need is aome gentle cleaning with a Q-tip.

This is a bit of info on spots in the wen:
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/symptom/symptom2.htm#WHITE SPOTS ON HEAD

I had a better reference but seems to have lost the link.

OTOH, if the fish act sick, or if the wen looks bad, collapsing, etc, then it is definitely a problem & should be treated.

Thanks jsoong. That Link was great. I'll keep an eye on it..

Wow! With a tank that nice and running so long it is really WEIRD that some crud has popped up on your fishy. Because you said "cottony" I didn't even consider the adult "spots". Maybe some new weird thing in your water supply that your normal conditioner doesn't remove...?

Any new plants/decorations? Seen any UFOs? Black Helicopters? *looks in empty straw box and shakes* >rattle-rattle<
I do 4 week Qt because I am paranoid, but 3 shoulda been good enough.
I will rummage the attic of my memory to see if I can remember anything popping up late on grandad's fish (but goldies caught fewer things in the 70's)
For now..ya got me.... hope its not some yukky new resistant version of some creepin crud.>>KNOCK tank times two!<< :?

Back
Top Bottom