Orange Fin loach (Botia modesta) Extremely FAT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayboy28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 200 gallon tank, which i keep about 5 clown loaches(Botia macracanthus ), 2 Orange fin loaches(Botia modesta ) and 2 rainbow sharks

i had purchased the 2 orange fins loaches about 1 month back in return of 2 bala sharks who had outgrown the tank.

The Orange fins laoches have been hiding since and not been playing or more outgoing like the clown loaches.

Today while i was looking at the tank.. one of the orange fin loaches was being chased by my rainbow sharks..i was shocked to see it extremely fat( round bellied) and she seems to be very defensive.

Now its a well known fact that its difficult(close to impossible) to breed loaches in captivity..

Im wondering if this orange fin loach is actually going to lay eggs or have some kind of sickness. Aprat from this it is very healthy eats a normal diet and seems to be healthy... but im not sure !...

any advices on this?

Although this botia has the same torpedo shape as its cousins, it does get quite a bit stockier than most. Perhaps this is what you're seeing as it is not known to have been bred in captivity. That said, perhaps you will be the first. Good Luck

ohh

OK.. i have kept in the hatchery right now ... as they love to be hidden, i have kept a small stone, into which it hides.. Its seems to be very stout .. only in the belly region.. otheriwse it seems to be normal like its companion.

i will try to get some photos

some pics

some pics... clicked with my mobile... not very clear though.. hope it throws some light on whats happening

Attachments

• 64sh0048_138.jpg
    64sh0048_138.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 64sh0047_107.jpg
    64sh0047_107.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 68
That is actually a red-tail botia, best kept in larger groups than 2. Though it may be possible the fish is gravid, that looks more like something is wrong. I've never seen a gravid botia, but no other gravid fish I've seen looks that bloated.

I have to agree that this fish has a problem. My success rate in treating bloat is about 50%. I add 1 tbspn of Epsom Salt per 10 gallons. I'm not sure how tolerant loaches are to this treatment. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

k

Ok , i seperated it form the others and kept it on medication, as you guys mentioned. It seems healthy, eats well, tries to swim around, though it seems to be heavy..

lets see how it goes... thanks

Back
Top Bottom