oscar doesn't move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewhuynh265

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just bought an albino oscar 2 days ago and he hardley ever does anything. he usually just sits on the bottom and it seems like he is more active when i turn off the light. when i put flake food in the tank, he doesn't go to the top to eat it. so i tried frozen brine shrimp and it just sinks to the bottom. he also swims away everytime i come near the tank. do u think there is anything wrong with it? is there anything i can do to make him more active and less afraid?

he's probably stressed and scared from the move. since he's new, he probably isn't used to you. does he come out when the lights turn off? when i first got my first, they did that when the lights were on.

WELCOME TO AA!! :D:D:D:D

well, usually he moves around more when i turn out the lights, but i added a new big rock to the tank today and he just stays behind it now. he hardley moves. only sometimes, but its rare. im going to try to change some of the water and see if anything happens.

oh yeh, sometimes when hes laying at the bottom. hes not even straight up. hes like lop sided. like one side is heavier than the other.

today imy oscar seems to be moving. i fed him some flake food and he ate a lot so i guess he's fine now.

There are several things that could be going on. What size is the fish, and what size tank do you have him in? Are there any tankmates? Was this an established tank, or a brand new setup?

Anytime a fish acts unusually it is a good idea to test the water, first things would be ammonia and nitrite, then also get a nitrate reading.

Sometimes fish are "shocked" when going into a new tank since the water is different, so if he was not slowly acclimated to your tank it can be hard on them, but hopefully he will improve. Be sure to remove any uneaten food - oscars are huge waste producers and you will need to keep on top of gravel vacs and water changes.

After a while most oscars become very much like a pet, and will come up to the glass and beg for food and whatnot. Hopefully he will get more comfortable and spend more time out in the open.

Back
Top Bottom