Oscar help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 11 inch Oscars (1 red female, 1 tiger male) in a 125 gallon tank. I just got these guys on Friday from someone on CL. He told me the male injured his side 2 weeks ago but I'm not so sure its an injury he caused?! His belly is very swollen, alot more on one side than the other. Can anyone help me with this? He acts normally, both have eaten since I've gotten them 4 days ago. They are eating Hikari Large Cichlid Floating Pellets (the guy gave me his food for them). They are both 4 years old. Water parameters are normal. Temp is 76-78. PH is 7.0. This is an established tank, its been set up for 3 years. I will post pics as soon as I get home!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Sounds like he is constipated, try giving them some cooked and de shelled peas, this is a common problem with oscars especially when feeding just dried food.

Ok I will do that! Thank you!

Its been a long time since I've had any Oscars, what else would you reccommend feeding? I want to stay away from goldfish and rosy reds though, they all look diseased at all the pet shops here in St. Louis...lol

No problem :) and I used to feed mine market prawn chopped up, krill superba, small dead fish (I used to buy them frozen, chopped fish will be just as good), night crawlers and I used hikari cichlid gold ( makes their colours Awsome) oh and I used to just give them peas like once every 1-2 weeks just to keep everything moving lol

Back
Top Bottom