Oscar---lossing it scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_randall1702

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this Oscar off a friend, do to the fact that he was is a 3 gallon aquarium. He is about 3 1/2 inches long. The bottom half of his body if normal color. But the top part looks like he aint got any scales there. Could this be some kind of sickness, or stress.(like when stressed birds loss there feathers)

How long was he in the 3 gallon tank? This, coupled probably with out of whack water parameters, probably is what took the scales off. You will want to be VERY attentive to your water conditions. I would add some stress coat and perhaps a bit of aquarium salt to your water. Give the fish some time.

That's the best advice I can give... Good luck!

Thanx

Belive it or not, when I first got him, I didnt know he was a tiger oscar, but know his color is starting to come back. He is also alittle more responsive now. He is starting to do the same ol beg for food thing oscars do.

Definitley follow what devilish said about water conditions. That is #1 priority. I agree with adding some salt too, maybe about 1 tblsp per 5 gallons. If he looks like hes getting holes or little depressions on his head or along his lateral line than he may have hexamita, or head in the hole disease. Also look for a white stringy material coming out of his anus or floating around in your tank. One can occur without the other. I had this with my flowerhorn after getting her from bad living conditions.
You may want to proactively give him an antiparasitic food just to be on the safe side. They are very safe and pretty cheap.
Thats all I can say, except watch him and keep that water pristine!!

Just in case you dont know an oscar needs a 75 gallon tank all to it's self when full grown.

If kept in a small tank to long it's growth will be stunted.
Just a heads up.. :D

hmm, I dunno about being stunted if he has good filters then it might keep growing, I had mine in a 20g due to some fighting in my 180g and its almost the width of the tank now and still growing, i think you should invest in a large tank now! plus they look cool :)

Back
Top Bottom