Oscar with hole in the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
My oscar recently developed hole in the head disease. I checked the water parameters and the nitrate had crept up to 60ppm so I carried out a few large water changes.

Since its in the early stages should I worry about trying to treat with medication or should it clear up on its own?

Think it can only be corrected via pristine water and high quality foods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.

Since I let his parameters slide I am going with water quality first. I've done a bunch of water changes and am gonna see if it gets any better. If not then I'll move to trying medications.

What do you feed her?

Your not listening... You cannot cure hith without meds. There is a parasite in your fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your not listening... You cannot cure hith without meds. There is a parasite in your fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're not reading.. it's not hith, it's hlle...

lol... the OP says its hith and all of a sudden we are talking about HLLE?

anyways if its hith and you said it was, then you can only get rid of it with metro.

hlle is cured with proper conditions.

lol... the OP says its hith and all of a sudden we are talking about HLLE?

anyways if its hith and you said it was, then you can only get rid of it with metro.

hlle is cured with proper conditions.

Had you read hukits post?? You'd have realized hlle is specific to oscars.

i agree that hlle is more common in those fish but no where is his post did he diagnose hlle.

you would have to have a close look at the holes and how they are forming and how deep they are to be able to identify which one it is.

but yes i did read the post.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.

HUKIT diagnosing that HLLE is way more common then HITH. and the rarity of HITH. Just the sheer likelyhood alone of HITH in an Oscar is what makes us think its HLLE.

OP never stated it was HITH but was looking at advice to help his issue. It would also be smart to maintain water quality and try to treat HLLE first before adding a chemical to fix HITH (which could potentially not even be the case).

Just my opinion, dont bash haha.

HUKIT diagnosing that HLLE is way more common then HITH. and the rarity of HITH. Just the sheer likelyhood alone of HITH in an Oscar is what makes us think its HLLE.

OP never stated it was HITH but was looking at advice to help his issue. It would also be smart to maintain water quality and try to treat HLLE first before adding a chemical to fix HITH (which could potentially not even be the case).

Just my opinion, dont bash haha.
That was my feeling exactly. Treat the most likely one first and progress from there.

brookster made it sound like it was confirmed hlle and while it might be its not yet confirmed. Pictures would help for sure.

brookster made it sound like it was confirmed hlle and while it might be its not yet confirmed. Pictures would help for sure.

I May have misread? Seems as though hlle is much much more common in oscars than hith??

Ken's Premium Metronidazole & Garlic Flake
It wont hurt anything to feed them this for a week to ten days.
I don't really understand hexitima because i don't keep chiclids, but it wont hurt just like doctors give you an antibiotic for a cold, at least it cleans ur system out so the immune system can contend with ONLY the virus not the virus and bacteria parasites and mold, and get overwhelmed.
Just sayin, either way its HITH or HLLE, this food probably would help.

Back
Top Bottom