Otocinclus with Bent Spine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently acquired an otocinclus and I've just noticed that it has a slightly curved spine. Should I be concerned? I'm really hoping that it's mechanical damage and not the dreaded fish tuberculosis. Anyone have any ideas? I can't get a pic right now, he's hiding, but it's bent at about a 15-20 degree angle.

Edit: The fish's stomach isn't distended so it could be just mechanical (fingers crossed).

I may Euthanize to be sure. He will be under strict observation for the next few days before I make a decision.

I know that some fish with a bent spine has some sort of vitamin deficiancy, or maybe it was a genetic thing but some fish are naturally like that. Do you know if it was like that when you got it? When you go to pick fish out, make sure you observe them for a little while and try to find the healthiest one you can. The one that is the most vibrant, swims good and has a good appetite! :) I think your oto should be fine. If it is a disease or parasite there will be other symptoms and you will know something isn't right.

Back
Top Bottom