Otto catfish help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my Otto was stuck I managed to free him without too much damage! But its dorsal fin is ripped and he has many red spots on his belly. I'm wondering if he's gonna make it! Any help?

Hubert90 said:
One of my Otto was stuck I managed to free him without too much damage! But its dorsal fin is ripped and he has many red spots on his belly. I'm wondering if he's gonna make it! Any help?

Separate him if you can, and immediately start dosing melafix.

Homedog98 said:
Do you have a bucket/ bowl?

I have a bucket. No extra filter. All I can do is an airstone! But I have no heater and it's winter here in Perth Australia. So I don't want him to freeze to death!

Hubert90 said:
I have a bucket. No extra filter. All I can do is an airstone! But I have no heater and it's winter here in Perth Australia. So I don't want him to freeze to death!

Squeeze some goop out of the main tank filter, and put in all tank water and the airstone. If the bucket is small enough, float it in the tank to keep it warm. If it's too big, as long as the heater in your house keeps the house at around 70, he'll be ok.

Hubert90 said:
Here's a picture of his torn fin! Hope it helps

Poor guy! The red spots on his belly are more worrying IMO... If there's internal bleeding we could have a problem. I doubt that's what it is though.

Homedog98 said:
Squeeze some goop out of the main tank filter, and put in all tank water and the airstone. If the bucket is small enough, float it in the tank to keep it warm. If it's too big, as long as the heater in your house keeps the house at around 70, he'll be ok.

Thats a good idea. I'll go look for a small enough container to fit in my 10G! :( the tank is in the living room and we don't run the heater at night. Argh I'm so angry with myself. It's all my fault! He got stuck in the gap btwn my 3d wall and the glass! If u get the pic! That gap uses to be filled with java moss but I removed it Argh!

Hubert90 said:
Thats a good idea. I'll go look for a small enough container to fit in my 10G! :( the tank is in the living room and we don't run the heater at night. Argh I'm so angry with myself. It's all my fault! He got stuck in the gap btwn my 3d wall and the glass! If u get the pic! That gap uses to be filled with java moss but I removed it Argh!

It's ok, we all make mistakes. Do a double check of the whole tank and cover that gap either way.

Homedog98 said:
It's ok, we all make mistakes. Do a double check of the whole tank and cover that gap either way.

I know but just hating myself right now! All my ottos made it through the "mortality period" and were doin great till now! Sigh! Anyways Im gonna hope for the best!

Hubert90 said:
I know but just hating myself right now! All my ottos made it through the "mortality period" and were doin great till now! Sigh! Anyways Im gonna hope for the best!

I'm hoping for you too! Keep us updated please!!!

Hubert90 said:
Alright! I feel much better today, my Otto is doin fine! Acting normal and the red spots seems to be fading :D

Thats great news!!! Did you get him QT'd, or is he still in the main tank? Treated?

Homedog98 said:
Thats great news!!! Did you get him QT'd, or is he still in the main tank? Treated?

I left him in the main tank. I felt like that's the best think for it. Nope didn't treat it. Just kept an close eye on him! All the red spots are gone! Now to wait and see what's to happened to its dorsal fun.

Hubert90 said:
I left him in the main tank. I felt like that's the best think for it. Nope didn't treat it. Just kept an close eye on him! All the red spots are gone! Now to wait and see what's to happened to its dorsal fun.

That's great! The melafix will help the dorsal fin if it doesn't heal on it's own. :)

Back
Top Bottom