Otto Emergency!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spirit Hawk

Aquarium Advice Regular
My otto seems to be dying. His tail won't straighten out when he swims, and he is barely reacting to anything the way he normally would. Only his gill movements tell me he is still alive. He was fine yesterday, when just did a 40 percent water change. Nothing new has been added to the tank, and my other fish doesn't bother him. Can somebody help me?

He has gotten worse in the last 20 minutes, but his gills are still moving

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445839634719.jpg
    1445839634719.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 95
He is currently in a hospital tank.

I put him back upright, and his fins are twitching. After some more research, I think he has a swim bladder leak.

I just added some aquarium salt, and now I'm going to see if I can get a few hours of sleep before school. I'll tell you if he's still alive in the morning.

Nevermind, he just died. If there is anyway I can prevent this from happening again, please tell me.

RIP

Attachments

• 1445844604370.jpg
    1445844604370.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 90
Otto's are very sensitive fish, often wild caught. This means that they are almost prone to have parasites. IMO I don't think it was parasites because he's not skinny, like most fish infested with parasites are. I don't know what it could be. Can you test your parameters? That would help us determine the problem. Tank mates? Tank size?

I don't think he had parasites, I've had him for about 3 months, and he's never been sick before. Unfortunately I can't afford a water testing kit, but I had just done a 40 percent water change, so the amonia/nitrite/nitrate levels shouldn't have been a problem. He was in a 5 gallon tank with a young black molly.

You can take your water to your lfs and have it tested if you cannot afford the api test kit that's well worth the money, it's very important to make sure your levels are correct, are you using water conditioner when you do water changes?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can't afford a $35 test kit then you can't afford to keep fish, period. Especially fish as sensitive upon introduction as an Otto. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but fish keeping has its costs, including but not limited to a test kit. In fact a water test kit is pretty cheap in the spectrum to the necessities of fish keeping.

If you can't afford a $35 test kit then you can't afford to keep fish, period. Especially fish as sensitive upon introduction as an Otto. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but fish keeping has its costs, including but not limited to a test kit. In fact a water test kit is pretty cheap in the spectrum to the necessities of fish keeping.

+1 not to sound rude but to put it bluntly, this hobby is not cheap by any means. Sure there is plenty of DIY stuff but a DIY test kit is not one of the things. Almost everyone here considers the liquid test kit one of the "necessities of fish keeping".

I understand money isn't always available but if you want to continue to keep fish you have to set money aside for their care.

Caleb

+1 not to sound rude but to put it bluntly, this hobby is not cheap by any means. Sure there is plenty of DIY stuff but a DIY test kit is not one of the things. Almost everyone here considers the liquid test kit one of the "necessities of fish keeping".

I understand money isn't always available but if you want to continue to keep fish you have to set money aside for their care.

Caleb

Very first thing i bought when i redid my tank got tired of driving every week to my lfs to get it checked, saves ion gas too

Wasnt trying to sound rude either but that's like one main necessity, especially when you're doing your tank the right way with weekly water changes its not an option its a must.

Just like many people don't think a heater is a must either until their tank temp bottoms and they wake up with their fish belly up and are like what happened.

Spend the 35 bucks man the kit lasts forever and you can just buy replacement bottles when one runs out, I've had mine over a year now and not even close to having to buy test solutions.

I know fish keeping is expensive!!! I saved up for 2 years to buy my tank. If I had 35 dollars, I would buy the test kit.

I started this thread to see if anyone knew how my otto died, and you guys aren't being very helpful with that.

I meant google those, sorry, let us know what you think And well go from there. My bad

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom