Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Overfed fish

My toddler dumped three containers of fish food in my 10 gallon betta fish tank when I was up putting baby to bed. I didn’t notice it until 30 min later. I normally have it in a locked cab but didn’t latch it after morning feeding! Ugh! I immediately started cleaning the tank. It took me 2 hours of vaccum, adding water, vaccum. Every time I’d add water more food got stirred up from the sand. I don’t think it’s still totally clean and will do more tomorrow, but there is none floating now. My betta is just sitting there and just stomach is so big. I really hope he doesn’t die! I don’t want to change the water until it goes down as more might get stirred up and cause him to keep eating. Should I give him part of a pea tomorrow morning to help push it all out? It’s been 6 hours and he’s still alive. She dumped the whole thing is dried shrink, tropical fish flakes I had from a previous Fish and all his betta pellets. The tropical flakes were the biggest mess and they covered the whole 10 gallon tank like snow

Old 04-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Im not sure about all bettas but I know mine won't eat more then it needs or wants. There has been countless times I fed mine and there are left over food on the gravel floor. So I would say that cleaning the tank completely for hygienic purposes is the way to move forward. Also i have a story similar to yours. I accidently knocked over a canister of blood worms into my betta fish tank. It was surely a mess and took awhile to clean. He was bloated for about 3 days but he survived the feast. Hopefully this helps.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com