panchax with major problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello there, my panchax goldie has been attacked by one of my swordtails ( junior) his in really bad nick, and finds it best to just lay on his back in the breeder trap that swimming upright. ive been watching very closely, fins are hugely damaged, and the scales around his head are also missing.

first thing i did was removed the troublemaker from the tank. this seemed to help a little, and placed him in the breeder trap. i also added some stresscoat to help him heal a little better and to restore his slime coat.

its been about 8 hours since i placed him in the breeder trap, and his seeming a little better, i tend to help him a little by moving a current over him to help him restore his right way up, and placed some worms in there so if he decides to eat it will give him some energy.

i gave him about a 20 % chance of living through the night. because his upside down, moving his fins slightly and his gills are still moving.

can anyone think of any other ways to help him before he has his uncalled for assault into a murder??

he managed to live through the night amazingly, but has gotten worse. i keep moving the water over him to get him to flip up but he isnt trying anymore :( . maybe its better putting him out of his misery sadly?

It might be the best thing for him. If you don't have any hope for him, that is. :( You can use the clove oil method.

Yeah, get 100% pure clove oil, put 1 tsp per gallon of water (tank water is best, but not IN the tank) shake until it turns milky, put fish in and he will go to sleep. You can then add more clove oil and he will eventually pass, then put him in the freezer to make sure he doesn't wake up. IMO, this is the most humane method there is, because I can't bring myself to cutting heads off. :S

ohh, okay. that seems very humane, unfortunately goldie died this morning, so no need to worry about methods of euthanising him. thats a good method to know though , thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom