Panda Cory Died :'(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 4 Panda Cories, and they were doing fine for approx. 2 weeks, then one died. It must have been an instant death within minutes, because just moments before I found it, I was watching all four swim around together :ermm: I fed them algae half an algae wafer everyday that they shared with the shrimp and snail. They also ate any leftover daphnia/bloodworm/fish food that the rasboras missed. The rest of the fish are looking happy and healthy.

Tank stats:

15 Gallon - 24"L x 12"H x 12"W
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 15ppm
Planted - Corkscrew Vals, Java Fern
Tankmates - 3 x Other Panda Cories
8 x Harlequin Rasbora
~30 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Zebra Nerite Snail.

Any ideas as to why it died? Thanks in advance! :cool:

I acclimated them by floating them for half an hour, then adding a lttle of the water to the bag every ten minutes until the volume in the bag was doubled. I didn't do a water change before i added them, but i'd done one the day before. They were in there two weeks before it died though.. My tank has been cycled for just over 1 month now :)

No I made sure that all the bag water stayed in the bag and i flushed it down the toilet.
I added the rasboras about 2 weeks after the cories.

Hmm. Perhaps it just died from old age, that's the only possibility I see when everything checks out. Get another one and it should be fine. :) If not, then something is definitely up. But I think you'll be okay.

I'm not sure it was old age because it was the second smallest one and it was only like an inch long. But I'm getting 3 more tomorrow, for a total of 6 to see if it was the stress of having only 4 that was the problem. And plus, now the ohter 3 dont swim around as much, so they need more friends anyway (well, thats my excuse to tell my mum ;) ) Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Another one died! :'(

It was the smallest one at about 3/4 inch and before it died it was struggling to stay upright. It was constantly swimming, trying to stay upright, because it kept tilting sideways.

The two that died, were both smaller and paler than the two that are still alive, from when I got them. Were they pale because they were ill when I got them?

The two remaining ones are about 1 1/2 inches and black and a orangey-cream colour, where the dead two were black and white.

If another one died now I'd be really worried. If you got them from a chain store it is possible that they are unhealthy due to poor water quality, treatment, and conditions and could have had a hidden disease when you first got them. Return them if you can.

I have just thought! Is it worth mentioning that the two that died had practically no barbels? They were like that when I got them and the two remaining ones and the 4 new ones that I've just finished acclimating have long full barbels.

Also they were very small...

The 6 Panda's are now the happiest I've ever seen them, swimming around, following the Harlequin's; it's so funny. I don't think these guys will go downhill but I'll let you know if I'm worried about anything. :)

Back
Top Bottom