Panda cory fin split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

One of my panda corys has a small split in its dorsal fin. It's a clean split, so I think it's injury. I do have plastic plants in the tank, it's only a QT tank and they will not be there permanently.

Today is the first day I noticed, no other cories have torn fins. Anything I can do to help healing? I also don't have params on hand, but it is a cycled tank

Happens to all fish with long fins. It should grow back in no time, just keep up on PWC's and keep clean water. It shouldn't be a problem.

Well I noticed a few more of the cories have tiny tears or notches in their dorsals, but not clean splits like the first one. Maybe 3 have fin injuries right now? I took out a plastic plant I suspect might be the cause of it.

Not sure if aggression is potentially an issue, I have not seen the 2 honey gouramis bother the cories at all. They don't even bother each other (male and female) and are far more likely to be bothered by the busy cories haha.

I tested the water last night 0/0/10-20 and did a 30% pwc today just to see if it'd help. I also have been adding a little stress guard to help w/ healing. The gouramis have no fin damage.

How can I tell if it's just a plastic plant hurting the cories or fin rot? :/ just wait and see? Their permanent home, a 29 gallon, is heavily planted so this won't be an issue once they've passed qt.

Well I noticed a few more of the cories have tiny tears or notches in their dorsals, but not clean splits like the first one. Maybe 3 have fin injuries right now? I took out a plastic plant I suspect might be the cause of it.

Not sure if aggression is potentially an issue, I have not seen the 2 honey gouramis bother the cories at all. They don't even bother each other (male and female) and are far more likely to be bothered by the busy cories haha.

I tested the water last night 0/0/10-20 and did a 30% pwc today just to see if it'd help. I also have been adding a little stress guard to help w/ healing. The gouramis have no fin damage.

How can I tell if it's just a plastic plant hurting the cories or fin rot? :/ just wait and see? Their permanent home, a 29 gallon, is heavily planted so this won't be an issue once they've passed qt.

IMO it was the plastic plant. Those leaves are razor sharp to fish. Doubt it's the honey gouramis, can't do a lot of damage. Just keep an eye on them. It's good that you've taken a plant out, just wait and see if it heals up or not. You should be fine (y)

Yeah, I hope so! These cories are my cute little fin babies hehe. The honeys seem very peaceful, so I doubt aggression is a problem either, just thought I'd bring it up in case it was relevant.

Only the one with the clean tear has a noticeable injury, the other few cories you really have to squint to see the damage. Their behavior hasn't changed, so I'm hoping they'll be all healed up in a week or so? How long does fin repair take?

Back
Top Bottom