Parasites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I seem to having a bit of trouble keeping my guppies alive lately. I'm not sure if it's weak stock or what seems to be the issue. I suspect internal parasites. They seem absolutely fine for the first two weeks, very active, eating etc. Then they seem to stop eating. They poop a rather large white almost lumpy poop. They become extremely thin and then die. What would be the best course of treatment to use. Also can anyone give me the name of a few Meds to have on hand. Is there such a thing as a general tonic for a tank.
The issue is with my 15g, guppies and guppy fry. I have a false juli cory in the tank and he/she has not been affected. Very active and loves his food...
My water results are good, slightly high Nitrates 20-40 which will be soon sorted with real plants.....

It does sound like parasitic something or other. Metronidazole or Praziquantel or both, may help. I have never had to use them, so I'd follow the directions on the package. I think API makes something with both of these in it, name escapes me. There aren't too many things you'd want to have on hand always, there is usually not that much call for them and they do expire with time. Aquarium salt is one that's useful to have.. kosher or pickling salt or even sea salt is also ok.

The only real general tonic is the cleanest water possible, truly. Some believe that adding salt is a good tonic, but there really isn't any science to back it up. It's more like, I've always done this, so I do this, as opposed to something that has proven results that can be duplicated in studies.

But salt is an effective treatment for some things. It can help heal wounds, it can kill some parasites, such as ick. Guppies can handle salt, but catfish are more sensitive to it. For long term use, it may kill catfish, so it's not going to be of use for your tank so long as the cory is in there. There's a study I read recently that seems to indicate catfish can handle salt for ich treatment, so short term it's tolerable, but in the long term it is very hard on them and would likely kill them.

If you have another tank you could use for quarantine or hospital, you could then use some salt for the guppies in that. Not a cure, but may help them feel somewhat better while you get them the medication. Fry don't always do as well as adults with meds, so you may lose some or all of them, but if you don't treat, I think you will lose them all anyway from the sound of the symptoms.

It does sound like parasitic something or other. Metronidazole or Prazipro or both, may help. I have never had to use them, so I'd follow the directions on the package. I think API makes something with both of these in it, name escapes me.

The only general tonic is the cleanest water possible, truly. Some believe that adding salt is a good tonic, but there really isn't any science to back it up. It's more like, I've always done this, so I do this, as opposed to something that has proven results.

But salt is an effective treatment for some things. It can help heal wounds, it can kill some parasites, such as ick. Guppies can handle salt, but catfish are more sensitive to it. For long term use, it may kill catfish, so it's not going to be of use for your tank so long as the cory is in there. There's a study I read recently that seems to indicate catfish can handle salt for ich treatment, so short term it's tolerable, but in the long term it is very hard on them and would likely kill them.

If you have another tank you could use for quarantine or hospital, you could then use some salt for the guppies in that. Not a cure, but may help them feel somewhat better while you get them the medication. Fry don't always do as well as adults with meds, so you may lose some or all of them, but if you don't treat, I think you will lose them all anyway from the sound of the symptoms.
Cheers Fishfur. I will have a look for those meds and get a small tank for treating the fish. I was thinking of using salt but it's not really an option with all the fry and corys. I don't have another home for them and another tank is not an option....girlfriend!!!...

Good luck. Where's Drogheda ? I'm of Irish extraction myself, all the grandparents were from Ireland. Always hope I might see it one day. Dad's people were from the County Cork area, so far as I know.

Why can't I find a bf who's into fishies ? He could have tanks galore, so long as I had my share :).

Good luck. Where's Drogheda ? I'm of Irish extraction myself, all the grandparents were from Ireland. Always hope I might see it one day. Dad's people were from the County Cork area, so far as I know.

Why can't I find a bf who's into fishies ? He could have tanks galore, so long as I had my share :).
Hey. Drogheda is about 30-40miles directly north of Dublin. Ya most of our people who left for your shores where from the west of Ireland. People from the east of the country headed for England/Scotland. I have a few friends on here, Old Scales&Rivercats(both Irish heritage). Maybe we could charter a plane over!!
Yeah I wish my girlfriend was into them. She has no interest whatsoever. I don't even have any mates into them...haha

Back
Top Bottom