Pea Puffer breathing heavy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta_

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought 4 juvenile pea puffers from lfs and three of them of doing excellent. The 4th one isn't doing so hot. He's been breathing heavy and fast and staying near the back left of my 20gal.

Water quality:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20ppm
pH 7.2
Temp. 80F

I'm going to do a water change on my lunch break.

Help!

New fish.

The tank has been set up for a few days prior to the puffers being put in the tank. Using a SunSun HW-603b external canister filter with cycled ceramic media. Dirted tank with washed play sand cap.

New fish.

Also, I have been feeding them thawed frozen Hikari bloodworms. The sick puffer hasn't been eating so I can rule out bloat

New fish.

Likely parasites.

It's more common than some realize in puffers as many are wild caught.

Caleb

Really! :-/ poor guy.

He's not displaying any "lumps" or discoloration. Around his pupils is a brownish ring. I don't know if that has something to do with it.

New fish.

Yeah, sounds like parasites to me as well. Is the puffer skinny or fat? Any discoloration/faded colors?

To, 20 ppm nitrate is on the high side. In my puff tank I like to keep them under 10, preferably 5. I doubt it is that though. How did you acclimate them? They really should be drip acclimated. Also, have you actually seen them eat or did you just put some bloodworms in and not see them eat? I like to feed my 2 from tweezers or a small pipette because then I know if they're eating. Also, can you add pictures for us to see?

Yeah, sounds like parasites to me as well. Is the puffer skinny or fat? Any discoloration/faded colors?

To, 20 ppm nitrate is on the high side. In my puff tank I like to keep them under 10, preferably 5. I doubt it is that though. How did you acclimate them? They really should be drip acclimated. Also, have you actually seen them eat or did you just put some bloodworms in and not see them eat? I like to feed my 2 from tweezers or a small pipette because then I know if they're eating. Also, can you add pictures for us to see?

+1 acclimation could play a role in this...

20ppm shouldn't have much effect. It's up there but not in danger zone.

Caleb

Maybe the water needs more oxygen. I recently transferred two pea puffers to a new 5G tank using half the water from their old tank. My temp was 80F. Couldn't get the heater to calibrate(spellling?) I noticed them breathing heavily for a few days, while one of them did not eat. My water readings were fine and did a water change, but still had heavy breathing. I finally got the heater lowered to 78F and increased water circulation with the filter. After that, all was good. They were both acting normal. Breathing fine and eating. The warmer the water, the less oxygen there is.

The acclimation process was done by floating the lfs bag with the puffer. Then over time adding small quantities of tank water. After about an hour of repeatedly adding water, I let them free in my tank.

He looks normal from the outside. No discoloration or lumps. He doesn't look fat or thin. Somewhere in between.

I did a water change and tested the water and the nitrate level was Zero ppm. I called the lfs and they said to bring a sample of my tank water down so they could test the alkalinity and hardness.

New fish.

Maybe the water needs more oxygen. I recently transferred two pea puffers to a new 5G tank using half the water from their old tank. My temp was 80F. Couldn't get the heater to calibrate(spellling?) I noticed them breathing heavily for a few days, while one of them did not eat. My water readings were fine and did a water change, but still had heavy breathing. I finally got the heater lowered to 78F and increased water circulation with the filter. After that, all was good. They were both acting normal. Breathing fine and eating. The warmer the water, the less oxygen there is.

I do not think it is temperature because then all of them would be breathing fast and short breaths.

New fish.

I do not think it is temperature because then all of them would be breathing fast and short breaths.

New fish.

Also my my pump circulates water at approx. 106gph in a 20gal tank.

New fish.

Ok, just wanted to let you know my experience that I had with them. I'm still a newbie. How is the dwarf puffer doing? What was your LFS water test results? Hope all is well.

Ok, just wanted to let you know my experience that I had with them. I'm still a newbie. How is the dwarf puffer doing? What was your LFS water test results? Hope all is well.

Unfortunately, the tough pea puffer passed away the night after visiting the lfs. Their results showed my water as being soft and recommended adding crushed coral to the tank. So I did, but the damage was already done. When I turned my tank lights on the next morning my other 3 peas were looking upon the fallen pea ?

New fish.

Thanks. I may get another, or I'll roll with 3 for now

New fish.

might just be stressed. Give them some time. He may be an odd man out, any bullying going on?

Back
Top Bottom