Pea puffer not looking well, any advise pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sb1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to all new member and new to posting on forums so pls bare with me. I noticed yesterday my pea puffer had these strange marks at the top of its mouth like white spots or legions I'm kinda thinking it could be white spot but as I'm only a year into the hobby I'm really not sure, any help would be appreciated. Thankyou. I will post pics if I can work out how to do it.
Tank size 10 gallons
Amonnia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates about 20 before weekly W/C

Oh forgot to mention no other tank mates are showing symptoms 5 ember tetras a guppie and 4 ghost shrimp and a lonesome galaxy rasbora

Attachments

• 1486014213275-107730316.jpg
    1486014213275-107730316.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1486014263716-274046066.jpg
    1486014263716-274046066.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1486014307945819066199.jpg
    1486014307945819066199.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 78
Was hoping for some help and advice pretty soon. I'm tempted to just start with some temperature treatment. Noticed my puffer didn't really eat that well this evening either.

It looks like his mouth is swollen, they don't have teeth that need to ground like other puffers?? I don't know. Heat treatment won't do anything. Research mouth disease in pea puffers??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks, the pictures aren't the greatest there seems to be two sores on top of his mouth aswell , I've looked online and can't find any mouth disease articles for peas. He usually scoufs down his blood worms like anything but tonight he wasn't that intrested. I'll keep looking online,
Thanks for your reply

You can treat him for a fungal infection. That's what it kind of looks like

Ok mate, thanks a lot for your help I'll pick up some meds tomorrow. ? any idea on a good
product?

Where you at? Australia? Pm delapool

Well as i have my personal experience u need snails for puffer to file its teeth. The swollen mouth means teeth are big so they cannot eat any thing... its small puffer you wont be able to cut its teeth so may not last for long ... sorry

I have snails in the tank mate, maybe he's just not hunting them or something, can't you expl

Can't explain the sores on his forehead tho, I've started dosing with an antifungal med anyway so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input

Didn't think they needed their teeth filed like larger puffs???

That's what I thought to be honest, some conflicting info on t

That's what I thought to be honest, some conflicting info on this, there are pond snails in the tank I've seen him peck at them every now and then.ill just have to wait I fed him a few

That's what I thought to be honest, some conflicting info on this, there are pond snails in the tank I've seen him peck at them every now and then.ill just have to wait I fed him a few worms this morning which he munched no prblem

Back
Top Bottom