Peacock Cichlid with Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdawg75

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Tank Boss that does not fight that I know of has suddenly came up with a bloated right eye, I put him in my 10 gallon Hopital tank and am giving him melafix and I did give a little Epson salt. I have done several water changes, any thing else I can do? His eye has not reduced any but he is active and wants to eat. I feed NLS Cichlid pellets water Paramaters are 0-5 Amonia 0 trites and 25 trates (normal) he is a Sunshine Peacock.

When it is only one eye, the cause is usually an injury or trauma of some sort. Salt is good because it helps equalize the pressure. I would advise you just continue your present course of treatment. I have fixed pop-eye before doing this, but it did take a few days. I don't think there is anything else to do but wait.

I agree with absolutangel04, you are doing a great job just wait for a few more days. Just don't let him get more stress now and make him happy always, lol

Ok here is last night, so far ive moved to hospital tank did a 50% another 50 % water changes treated with Melafix and Epsom salt. then with Fungus Clear another 75% water change last night and another fungus clear tab in with him. He is swimming good and eating well.
35049-albums1659-picture16172.jpg

the eye is still enlarged totally cloudy with red in the middle (blood) and now the middle may have burst and a cottony like white is protruding out of it. Will he get better do I try something else or ?????

Oh the original tank Parameters were good 0 ammo 0 trites with about 10 to 20 nitrates, I didnt do a parameter check on water last night.

Yeah, I still am guessing that since its just one eye and the tank params are good that an injury is the culprit. My best advice would be to continue the present course of treatment and hope for the best.
Is the cottony stuff outside the eye, or behind the lens?

Yeah, I still am guessing that since its just one eye and the tank params are good that an injury is the culprit. My best advice would be to continue the present course of treatment and hope for the best.
Is the cottony stuff outside the eye, or behind the lens?

Both, last night it looked like it was sticking out of the eye, He is acting like nothing is going on though. its nasty to look at.

Ok the eye continued to grow what looked like a bacterial culture. as I was doing a huge water change, he got spooked alittle and brushed up against the fake rock in his Hospital tank and knocked the cottony stuff off. I dont know if he has a workable eye in there or not. I will get him healthy as I can.

I doubt the eye still has vision. It definitely sounds like a parasite or fungus. Sorry to say, but thats beyond me to help fix. I will do some research though and see if I come up with anything helpful though.

Thanks absolut, I am on the right track with a friends aid. now just time will do. It is actually starting to look better finally. not good but better than it did.

Thanks absolut, I am on the right track with a friends aid. now just time will do. It is actually starting to look better finally. not good but better than it did.
Thats great! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have treated bacterial pop-eye (in my younger days of fish-keeping), and injury pop-eye, but both of those cleared up really fast. Do you think this was a parasite or fungus or somthing?

Im wondering what, No other fish in my 75 has shown signs of anything. I have had This Sunshine Peacock for several Months. I am not sure but the good thing is he looks to be slowly healing now.

Thats great! He is really very pretty, I'm glad he is ok. Make sure to give your friend or hug (or candy) for helping you!
What sort of treatment did you use? Did you figure out for sure what was wrong?

No other than it has to be infection that either set in after an Injury or something. I did the Melafix then fungus clear now Im changing water every other day and using Pimafix.

At least he is doing better. Infection after an injury would have been my best guess. He is looking good now though. :)

Back
Top Bottom