Peacock Gudgeon, fungus or Parasite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digerri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. Hope someone can help me figure out what to do about my 4 Peacock Gudgeons.
Yesterday morning I noticed what looks like tiny white worms all over them. I don't think its ICH. I asked someone and he thought it was a fungus so I treated with Pimafix after 25% water change and 2 degree increase in temp.
Not any better today.
I have them in with 5 baby guppies, 3 harlequin rasboras, a tiny yoyo loach, a small bushy nose pleco and 3 amano shrimp.
Nobody else showing symptoms.
I did clean my substrate three days ago after not doing it for a long time. Dont know if that caused it. They do live on the bottom in little caves.
Don't want to loose these guys.
Any info is appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• peacockgudgeon1.jpg
    peacockgudgeon1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 133
  • peacockgudgeon3.jpg
    peacockgudgeon3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 131
  • peacockgudgeon22.jpg
    peacockgudgeon22.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 191
What's up with the tank? Size? Age? All the details..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is 10g.
Tank has been setup for 1.5 years.
I tested the water the other day. Everything was good.
Any other info?
Thanks

Yah, your tank is grossly overstocked, it may have been ok for a bit? Now everything is growing and pooping more, that pleco? How old? How big?

My pleco is about 3 inches at the most.
albino longfin bushynose don't get big. He is under 1 year. Everything in my tank is tiny.
5 Guppy babys.
1 1 inch long yoyo loach.
3 tiny harlequin rasboras.
Anyways, OK its overstocked. Do you know what is on my fish......
Thanks

The fish is sick because your tank is ridiculously filled with fish, water quality suffers and so do the fish. Simple solution? Remove all but the gudgeons and enjoy a healthy tank.. if not you'll be dealing with these subtle malities for the long haul. Crappy water stresses fish, stressed fish get sick, I'm not positive but I think gudgeons require very specific water parameters, not yours.. that pleco belongs in nothing less than a 20 long. It has the potential of 6" and a long lifespan, doubt you'll get much of that though..

To me that doesn't look like fungus. And pimafix I think for more low level infections.

What is ph, temp and ammonia/nitrites/nitrates now? Have you added anything to the tank recently, even driftwood, rocks or plants?

Do the white lines move at all?

I can't pick exactly what it is so following a bit. To me it looks most like ich or some sort of parasite. The speed makes me think that as well if they appeared over night. Anchor worms I've only seen larger and fewer of. However the line look rather than a dot is throwing me off ich a bit.

Given the infection looks pretty wide spread, my thought would be to get something that covers parasites as a med.

Is there fin loss on the back tail or is that natural?

Hi Delapool. I really appreciate your help.
ph 6.8
temp 78
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrates 0ppm
nitrates 0 ppm
added a few new plants
I can't tell if they are moving or if its the water flow. They are so small. I took the picture by holding my phone up to a magnifying glass.
The spit on fin is new. Not sure about that. Only that one has it.

Hi Delapool. I really appreciate your help.
ph 6.8
temp 78
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrates 0ppm
nitrates 0 ppm
added a few new plants
I can't tell if they are moving or if its the water flow. They are so small. I took the picture by holding my phone up to a magnifying glass.
The spit on fin is new. Not sure about that. Only that one has it.

Gut feel is ich. I wonder if they are producing slime to try and fight it off and that is producing the worm look? I'd still go for a good anti-parasite med asap.

If it was a few spots and definitely ich I'd try heat method.

Stocking - more later but yeah, sorry overstocked as mentioned above.

Ph and temp fine, nitrates at 0 a little odd to be so low. Are you doing a large water change schedule out of interest? Some extra water changes will help as well before treating anyways.

Edit - I've picked up new plants and got ich (from fish in plant tanks I assume, grrr) so could be possible.

My pleco is about 3 inches at the most.
albino longfin bushynose don't get big. He is under 1 year. Everything in my tank is tiny.
5 Guppy babys.
1 1 inch long yoyo loach.
3 tiny harlequin rasboras.
Anyways, OK its overstocked. Do you know what is on my fish......
Thanks

So, back from lfs which had cheap plants but google maps had wrong location :(

For 10gal imo the loaches will struggle. They should be in groups of 3 at least and mine are 4 inches fully grown. The pleco I've found also need a bit of room or end up trouble makers.

When they get bigger I will move them to my bigger tank. Right now I really would like to figure this out. I have researched what this is and can find no answers.
Someone has to know......

I told you the answer, you didn't like it so you ignored it. Go buy some broad spectrum anti biotics, do a 50 wc to cut your non existent nitrates in half. After the treatment has finished do 3 40% wc's a week and you may keep the tank healthy.
I'm sorry if my posts seem harsh, the truth/facts can be tough to take sometimes.. just trying to help, I have nothing to gain/lose of your entire tank crashes..

Brookster123 I did not ignore your answer. You did not give me an answer. I was looking for an Identification. Instead I got judgment. I want to first cure my fish. You never once until your last post gave me anything helpful. Thank you for finally giving me something.
You don't have to say sorry. I get the fact that there are people who have good bedside manners and those that dont. I have the freedom to pick the ones I want to address or as you put it ignore.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster123 I did not ignore your answer. You did not give me an answer. I was looking for an Identification. Instead I got judgment. I want to first cure my fish. You never once until your last post gave me anything helpful. Thank you for finally giving me something.
You don't have to say sorry. I get the fact that there are people who have good bedside manners and those that dont. I have the freedom to pick the ones I want to address or as you put it ignore.

Do you have a QT tank? If not, try making one quickly. Look up on google the best way. Should be okay to make emergency one with a plastic container (cleaned thoroughly without soap). Treat with medicine in the QT. This can at least try to prevent the spread to other tank mates and temporarily help the overstocking concerns. While doing that it is probably best to try cycling a new or bigger tank to resolve the overstocking. A lot of people on this site strongly urge water quality is essential.

You can choose to ignore my input based on the following: I know trying to help your fish is upsetting. People are taking their time and energy to respond only to help. Try not to focus on whether or not you approve of their bedside manner. I have found Brookster's input valuable haven't been put off by her delivery.

If you plan to ask for advice on this site, there are regular responders who read many of the questions and it would be a shame to lose valuable input because of a perception it will be met with anger and defensiveness.

Maybe we don't have the answers you want, but we have suggestions how to minimize the damage until someone who may be able to give you the name of the cluster of symptoms that you seek.

Hope this clarifies the best way to use input for your questions.

I appreciate the advice from both you and Brookster123. Thank you.

It looks like the slime coat is sloughing off. That can be caused by many things. Have you had a lot of rain where you live? The water treatment plant could have used more chemicals which means we as tank owners need to compensate with extra water conditioners.

I have had this type of thing happen before and it seems to only affect certain fish, peacock gudgeons being one of them. I suggest using Stress Coat or the Seachem version. Also make sure to keep the water clean and use extra dechlorinator if you've had lots of rainfall. Keep an eye out for ich and remember that loaches do not do well with inch cures due to being scaleless.

Well it's early morning here and off for a coffee but there's a couple of suggestions posted now. Do any of these fit?

It looks like the slime coat is sloughing off. That can be caused by many things. Have you had a lot of rain where you live? The water treatment plant could have used more chemicals which means we as tank owners need to compensate with extra water conditioners.

I have had this type of thing happen before and it seems to only affect certain fish, peacock gudgeons being one of them. I suggest using Stress Coat or the Seachem version. Also make sure to keep the water clean and use extra dechlorinator if you've had lots of rainfall. Keep an eye out for ich and remember that loaches do not do well with inch cures due to being scaleless.

You should listen to her, this is that experienced poster you've been waiting for;)

I would check nitrates again. There is no way they are 0 with that stock and size and age of that tank. If you use the liquid make sure you shake the crap out of the second bottle.

It really looks like ich to me or a combination of the two. It does have the salt-looking stuff like ich - but the raised bumps are a little strange. I definitely agree - get a broad spectrum antibiotic and lots of water changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I live in San Diego, so no to a lot of rainfall, unfortunately.
Nontheless am going to give stresscoat a shot.
I have moved loach and guppies to another tank as suggested by Brookster123 and Delapool. I don't have time to make a QT. I am a mom with kids that keep me running around. Plus my husband will kill me if I set up another tank.
Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom