Pearl Danios with bent spines.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Errorcodejoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help please: Have 6 pearl Danios, few of them have bent spines. And there swimming funny, wondering if they have dropsy. Wondering if anybody could Me out ? :)

If they do have dropsy do you think I should get rid of them?

:thanks:

Bent spines are common in zebra danios, so presume same can be said for pearls.

Many causes.

Bad genetics (inbreeding).
Old age.
Tuberculosis.

Do the fish look like they are suffering? I have a few zebra danios that have gone like as they've aged but seem to be fine, fit and healthy.

Thanks, well yeh kind of.

One of the pearl Danios has mouth rot or cotton wool disease. And one of the others has this bent spine and a funny swim, Presume it’s dropsy.

Do you think I should get rid of them ?

So 1 of your fish has a bent spine and 1 has mouth rot/cotton wool disease?

While a bent spine is a symptom of dropsy its not the only diagnosis. Why are you presuming its dropsy? Any other symptoms? Is the fish active and eating? If so its a bit extreme to get rid of it.

The mouth rot/cotton wool. Have you tried any treatments? I notice you are UK same as me, so some of the treatments that you might be recommended arent available here without vets prescription. I use Esha2000 to treat those kinds of ailments with some success. It also claims to treat dropsy.

Clean water and a suitable living environment is an important thing to get right. Could you give some more details on the tank. Size, temperature, filtration, water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), water change schedule, how old is the tank, plants, other fish, anything you can think of.

Back
Top Bottom