Penguin Tetras in distress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Another question: I have three penguin tetras. I was kind of evil, and just bought one at first. He seemed to do ok after a day or so, schooling with the other tetras. A week later I bought two more, with the intention of buying another two soon (I don't add many fish to the tank at a time). Well, one of them seems to hide behind the heater, and the other in the corner. Are they hiding, or sick? They have no visible problems except one looks like it might have a bite out of its tail (looks like a bite, not rot) - I noticed it the first day I got him so it was probably the store tank (all I have is tetras here). Is there anything I can do to help these guys out?!

Thanks again.

- J

Moved to sick fish.

Have you checked your water parameters? What size tank? He may be hiding or he may be suffering from something. Without water parameters it is hard to judge.

Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank. The nitrite levels are fine and the ammonia very slightly elevated - I am treating for this right now. I made the mistake of using a med to treat ich, but the penguins were doing that before - I have a feeling they weren't 100%healthy when they arrived. I am currently treating for ammonia. PH is slightly high. I did a 25% water change last night to rid the tank of as much ich meds as possible. I have left a good inch at the top and have maintained good surface agitation.

Anything else I can do?!
I feel awful for these guys.

How are you treating for ammonia? The best treatment is water changes to keep ammonia to 0ppm. To assist in removing the ich meds add activated carbon to the filter. It will remove the meds. You can do water changes of 50% if necessary to keep ammonia down. How long has the tank been set up?

It is possible that the fish came to you sick. Do you have still have ich in the tank and are you treating with the heat method as recommended?

Hi Anne,

thanks for your help. I am treating for ammonia with fluval ammonia remover in a nylon bag on the top of the carbon filter cartridge (I have an eclipse tank, so this is the only spot for treatments such as ammonia and nitrate remover). I have replaced the carbon cartridge which was removed when I was treating for ich. There appears to be no ich in either my big tank or my hospital tank. I do not have it as high as 86 degrees, but have it warmer than usual - around 82. I have a problem in that the heater that the setup came with does not tend to want to go any hotter than 82-84. I think that my problem with the fish behind the heater may have to do with an agressive penguin tetra. He is the one I bought alone a week before the other two. He is much larger than any other fish in my tank. I have seen him go after the two smaller penguins, as well as my marbled hatchets. I need to add more hiding spaces in the tank as my coral is occupied by the pleco, and my tank is only on its way to being fully planted. What can I do about this? He is a jerk, and is likely causing major stress in the tank! I definetely think that I'm going to go buy a huge bushy plant and add it as a start.....

Adding a hiding spot is an excellent idea. For ammonia, ammonia removers do not solve the problem. They treat it temporarily and can give false readings. The best way to treat ammonia is to do water changes. As many and as often as needed to keep ammonia to 0ppm. To save yourself money in the future, when dealing with water parameters, water changes and water conditioners are the only thing you'll need.

Back
Top Bottom