Perplexing Electric Blue Acara Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradT80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have 6 EBA'S. Got 2 of them on the 2nd, and the other 4 on the 7th(Thursday) After introduction of the 4(all 6 from the same place), 2 developed a very mild showing of ich the next day. Immediately, i started to raise the temp in the tank, did a water change, and added some aquarium salt in an attempt to treat without meds. By Saturday, 4 of the 6 had it, so i started to treat with paraguard. Its been a week now since the ich has made its presence known. 2 have gotten better, but the other 4 have gotten worse, looking like they rolled around in a tub of salt. Whats perplexing me is, they seem ABSOLUTELY FINE. They are all eating extremely well, swimming and constantly active, and very rarely do i see them rubbing themselves on anything. Its like the ich isnt even there. Also, NONE of my other fish have been affected. I have 8 congo tetras, 6 bosemani rainbows, and 2 snowball plecos. Theyre all clean and healthy. Should i continue treating with the paraguard and raised temperature, or should i try a different medication? They seem fine now, but i know if it doesnt go away, eventually, they wont be fine. I included a couple pics and a video. Tank is a 55g. Parameters- 0,0,10. PH 7.6. Filter-fluval 307

Attachments

• 20210112_213005.jpg
    20210112_213005.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210112_213623.jpg
    20210112_213623.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210112_213625.jpg
    20210112_213625.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 40
Hit the tank with kordon rid ich. You wont see it in the pleco until it's too late.

So unfortunately one of my acaras passed tonight...interestingly enough, he was one of the lesser affected. I just cant figure out why its only my acaras that have it! Nothing seems to be working and its really starting to annoy me. Not sure what to even do at this point.

Awe man. I'm sorry for that. Sucks. It's frustrating, I know. Do they still have the salting looking spots? In the pics it sure looks like ich. And I had it once in my African cichlids tank. It took a long time to get rid of it. Like 2 or 3 weeks. Not everyone had spots, but some did. I had the temp hovering for them right around 90. But I wouldn't go that high on your fish. 86 prob. It didn't make much difference anyway. It finally went away when I started with the Kordon rid ich plus. Gotta be the "plus" formula. And vacuum at least every other day

Awe man. I'm sorry for that. Sucks. It's frustrating, I know. Do they still have the salting looking spots? In the pics it sure looks like ich. And I had it once in my African cichlids tank. It took a long time to get rid of it. Like 2 or 3 weeks. Not everyone had spots, but some did. I had the temp hovering for them right around 90. But I wouldn't go that high on your fish. 86 prob. It didn't make much difference anyway. It finally went away when I started with the Kordon rid ich plus. Gotta be the "plus" formula. And vacuum at least every other day

Yea, a couple of them look like they rolled in a bowl of salt! I have the temp at 84 as thats the highest i can get it. Theyre all eating and pretty active. Even the one that died was up until about 2 hours b4 he went. I just dont get why its just my Acaras. I have 6 juvenile bosemani's and 8 jevenile congo tetras. Not only are they not affected, but theyre growing at a super rapid pace!

Well, 48 hours later, and 4 of my 6 EBA's are dead. The last 2 are looking ok...treating aditionally with metroplex, focus, and garlic guard to battle it from the inside...heres to hoping at least these 2 pull through...oh and still none of my other fish affected...hell i even have a female congo tetra who is missing a gill plate, and shes doing awesome!

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Good your treating with food, that's how I treat my fish being antibiotics. Works much better. My fingers are crossed for those last 2

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Good your treating with food, that's how I treat my fish being antibiotics. Works much better. My fingers are crossed for those last 2

Thanks man. Appreciate it. Im just still amazed that NONE of my other fish are having issues. My congos are getting huge and their colors are awesome!

Attachments

• 20210119_222822.jpg
    20210119_222822.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 38
Oh wow. Those do look great. I tried to talk my wife into getting some of those for one of her tanks

Theyre awesome. You can look at them from one angle and see no color, just gray. Then change the angle just a bit and you see the colors just pop. They get big too. Not long, maybe 4", but they get plump lol

Back
Top Bottom