Persistent Fin Rot on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumbo the Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since January, my betta has been suffering from bad fin rot. It hasn’t progressed to his body but it won’t go away. I’ve been using aquarium salts and melafix but only minor improvement has shown. I’ve been pretty consistent with water changes too. He still eats like a pig and is as active as normal! Thank you!

Pic? Size tank, % of water changes and how often? Test the water? What's your readings?

2 gallon tank. Plan to upgrade sometime this year. Maybe a ten gallon. I’m working on ordering a test kit. I change 40% every 3-7 days. IMG_1522962452.689895.jpg

I just did a 100% water change and added about 2 teaspoons of jungle aquarium salt and a few drops of melafix. I use water conditioner so don’t worry

When you do water changes, is the new water same temp? I'd start doing water changes @ 40-50% ever 2 days on a 2gallon tank. Even though looks like you have a sponge filter and a heater for him. The sponge filters don't have carbon to break down and toxic (ammonia spikes) and doing 100% water changes will stress him out. You can do 50% at a time and be ok. And be careful when adding water. These little guys are very touchy on some things. Specially the veiltails. Mine has been a roller coaster ride to never forget. I made a lot of mistakes with him. But have learned. And a 5gallon without plastic plants will give him the room he would love to flash him beauty around. I have hang on the back filters for all mine but they have sponges shoved in the out flow to slow it down. It's easier to keep control of ammoina spikes. And how do you clean the sponge?

Filter is HOB I’m pretty sure. Water is same temp. When I add water back in he’s not in the tank. I add him back after water changes

Ok. I use a cup and take him out that way. I’ve been doing that only when dosing meds which has been since January.

Oh, my... that's along time for meds. Try just water changes and conditioner. The cleaner the water the better he'll heal. 50% every other day. And try to get your test kit so you can start testing the water and then you'll know what your levels are at. If you have a cartridge in the filter dunk that in a bucket of old tank water. When you add the new water just add slowly so it don't push him around.

Hes doing a bit better now. I’m starting to see a little bit of improvement on his back fin. It’s not so jagged now but it’s still red

That's good. When you start seeing white tips, that's new growth. Before the white, you might see some red. It will get better. Try to get a test kit though. Then you'll know when to do water changes.

I haven’t had a chance to go to my LFS lately. It’s about an hour away and the nearest one.

Back
Top Bottom