Perulent "nostril" on Blood Red Parrot Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flutterby21782

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my BRPC has a perulent "nostril" that is also inflamed, I'm assumming (s)he had an altercation with one of his/her tankmates. The fish in question is acting normal. I was thinking of putting in salt to help heal the wound. All of my nombers were at 0, I was starting to get that green velvet algae crap, I did a 55% - 65% water change. I just wanted others opinions on the salt. If you have another idea please feel free to bounce it off me.
Thanks
Cognac

How long has your tank been set up? Just asking as you say all your parameters are 0. Usually a cycled tank will show nitrates unless there are plants in the tank. If it were me I would keep up on water changes and monitor the situation. You could add some pimafix/melafix to help with the healing. You could add salt but watch your pleco as plecos aren't fond of salt that much.

Well let's see my readings exactly are: NitrAtes are between 0 and 20 (I have dipsticks)NitrItes are 0, Ammonia is 0, Hardness is between 50 and 120Alkalinity is at 80, and my pH 6.8. My tank has been up for about 1 1/2 year. I haven't updated I haven't had my pleco for awhile now. Right now my fish are three BRPC, one Jellybean Parrot (undyed I may add), a cory cat (I believe speckled), three balas (2 inches), a peacock eel, four tire track eels, and a crayfish of some sort. I'm thinking my big bad tough parrot attempted to rough up the crayfish, the crayfish got in a lucky strike.
I will definately use some MelaFix and some PimaFix.

Crayfish can be quite vicious to fish from what I have heard from other members. I believe the crayfish will continue to cause harm to your fish. Not having actually attempted crayfish I can't speak from experience on their aggressive nature. The BP may be aggressive but the crayfish has more defense mechanisms I believe.

Hope he heals up well and good luck with the crayfish.

Back
Top Bottom