Pet Goldfish with White, Cotton-Like growth. Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleepylof

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I'm petsitting my sister's goldfish and I (stupidly) neglected water changes in the 2.5 gallon aquarium for 2 weeks. So I'm suspecting the water was dirty and full of bacteria. Yesterday, I discover that her goldfish was stuck underneath the filter and I moved him away from it. His 2 large fins are raggety from the encounter, and today I notice a white, cotton-like growth on the areas.

I've take the activated carbon out of the filter, did a water change, and administered Triple Sulfa. I think he has a fungal infection. Could anyone help me out on this? If it's fungal should I treat the fungus and continue the antibiotic? What medicines would you suggest? Thanks so much.

-Erik

It definately does sound bacterial or fungus. Generally the goldfish will not get caught underneath a filter or on a filter unless it isn't feeling well to start with. Do you have a test kit and what are the water parameter? Triple sulfa will aid if it is fungus or if it is poisoning from water conditions. Make sure you follow the directions well. BTW how big is the goldfish? Does your sister know that a 2.5 gal is too small for a goldie? They need 10 gals per goldfish. HTH and good luck.

Actually (although it depends upon the type and size of the goldfish) The rule that I've always heard is that the first fish gets 20 gallons and every fish after that gets 15. That way, in a 50 gallon tank you get 3 goldfish

Back
Top Bottom