Pet store fish wipeout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wasn't sure where to put this but I would like to know what is going on since I have fish from this store!

It's a big box store by the way! Anyways they had their floor waxed & something completely wiped out every fish they had! 2 attempts they order bags and bags of fish show up for black Friday they were scooping the out by the dozen! They had bags full of dead fish! So no black friday deals! They had another shipment of fish and was suppose to be same price as before ad!

We arrive not a single fish in a tank! I'm just really freaked out I have no idea what is going on! Wouldn't the wax fumes be gone by now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not necessarily the fumes. Some of the wax or chemical could have gotten into the system and killed off the biological as well. A reload of fish in a biologically unsound system could very easily have an ammonia issue that kills off the fish in hours or days. Sounds to me like they need to strip down the system(s) and start again. Maybe do 1 system at a time to confirm the others need to be done. (y)

For now, I would be hesitant to get fish from the store until they sit in their system for a week with no issues. :whistle:

That is dreadful. Sounds like something bad for fish got in the water tanks. Maybe the floor waxers used their hoses for chemicals or in their buckets or ??? who could say what possibilities.

If YOUR fish are alright now I wouldn't be too troubled.

I would steer clear of their fish though and just get a rain check for the price if you can and be honest that all your hard work to keep your fish and you don't want anything to happen and see if they will date it out a few weeks/ a couple months for you. So you can be sure everything is fine, if you ever get fish from them again.

Will they let you pick fish up straight off the truck before they hit the store tanks? That'd be a way to avoid this mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will they let you pick fish up straight off the truck before they hit the store tanks? That'd be a way to avoid this mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Highly doubt the store will open a bag for selling a fish or 2 from it prior to it being in their system. That's a recipe for losing the remaining fish. Would need to be a special order, separately bagged item and if the fish comes in after or before hours, they may not want anyone in the store at those hours. Then you have the possibility of the fish sitting in the bag an extra night and who knows under what conditions. Just sayin' :whistle:

I meant if a person will buy all the fish in the bag. For one of my lfs I have to arrive within 30 min of them calling me and fish fish never get unbagged and into the store system. I guess I should have clarified.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom