Pictus redux...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceekay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
[edit] CRAP!! So I figured with a google search that my pictus now have Ich! Stupid dat-gummed parasites! >:\

Now I will have to wait until Petco opens to get Ich-curing stuff... A website recommended something like quinine hydrochloride because they're sensitive to malachite green? Sound about right? [/edit]

I just fought a bout of ich with my Pictus recently. A simple treatment would be turning the heat up to 86-88° for a week and keep the lights off. Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich tremendously. Some strains are more resistant to the heat and mine was. Ended up treating with Seachem Cupramine and had great, quick results.

I just fought a bout of ich with my Pictus recently. A simple treatment would be turning the heat up to 86-88° for a week and keep the lights off. Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich tremendously. Some strains are more resistant to the heat and mine was. Ended up treating with Seachem Cupramine and had great, quick results.

+1 pictus are also fairly sensitive to water quality as well.

Caleb

I got some weird "herbal ich treatment" from Petco. I wasn't sure if by "activated carbon" and etc. on the warnings that they meant the generic charcoal filter element I have, but I pulled it anyway. The guy at Petco said they use this stuff with stellar success, so I told him if Thor and Loki die of Ich, I'm gonna bring them in and have their proper Viking funerals in their tanks... I think he thought I was kidding... :cool:

Anyways, not much progress... They're swimming mostly in the top 1/4 to the surface, but at least they're nose-up still... :hide:

The pleco also came fighting for a spot near the now-filterless pump, which is quite unusual for him. I cannot see any ich spots on him, but he's a pretty heavily-armored type, and I'm betting is just as sick as the other two...

I did get a chance while they were doing some tank-side swimming to get measurements! :D

Thor - 3.25"
Loki - 3"
Pleco - 2.5"

Loki, of course, had to make it difficult.... He'd give me a perfect vertical profile to measure, then just as I got the ruler up to him, he'd switch to horizontal and do the same. Little bastard! :p

I also cranked the bubbler to eleven, and they seem to like the dramatic increase in oxygen in that spot... Hopefully that doesn't mean the ich is too bad in their gills... :c

How do I give them chicken noodle soup? :c

- CK

Just a bit of advice, scaleless fish, such as catfish and plecos, are sensitive to medicines. This is especially true when talking about ich treatments. Read the label thoroughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was told this stuff is perfectly safe for sensitive fishes, specifically pictus catfish and plecos...

Loki and the pleco seem to not be getting any worse, but Thor is floating funny between few spouts of activity... I think he's done for. :cry:

RIP Thor.

And Loki looks like he's about done too... :nono:

If they all die, the tank is getting bleached...

Thor and Loki are both gone. The pleco I set aside in a 1gal terrarium tank pail as a quarantine until I can figure out if he too is going to live or die; It's hard to tell a creature's temperament when the creature has no temperament to speak of... :p

Anyway, the tank is going to get cleaned with bleach and set to dry for the day, then set back up for catfish... A post on that is coming to the appropriate forum soon...

But ya, just be forewarned: Petco's "herbal all-natural" ich formula didn't do jack, and I'll never shop Petco again.

- CK

Sorry about the loss. I hate when fish die. Regardless of cost.
Water conditions can deteriorate rapidly in a 10g depending on the stocking. I looked in this thread for your water change schedule and parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) but could not find them. The fish may have succumbed to water quality complicated by the ich.
If you don't have a liquid test kit, you should pick one up before thinking about getting more fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom