Pictus very sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stargazer8199

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. My pictus is acting really strange, I think perhaps dying. I feel terrible and want to do whatever I can. It started with a slight tilt about 2 weeks ago and has progressed to completely erratic spurts of manic swimming, barrel rolling, vertical spinning and running into the glass and other structures, alternating with just lying on its side or upside down at the bottom. It has always been a bit of a spaz, but this is all completely different. Now seems to have rapid breathing. It is about 3 years old, and have had since a baby, and was one of the original fish in the tank. Tank is 20 Gal (yeah I know it’s too small, just read that while researching this issue). There are currently 2 adult Mollys. We perform 40-50% water changes every 1.5-2 weeks. Just checked pH, nitrates/nitrites, and ammonia- all normal. Temp stays around 78-80, but just turned up to 82. Had two bouts of Ich in the Molly’s, but catfish never appeared effected with lesions, and do not see any lesions now. One of Molly’s does have some growth it looks like, so started Ich treatment with Herbtana just in case. Honey not sure if it’s been eating. Tried shrimp pellets and frozen pea, but not interested at all. Belly does not look bloated but maybe could be swim bladder disease, although I thought that was when they floated? He/She just kinda sinks to the bottom. Is there anything else I can try? Or is it euthanasia time?? Thanks

Attachments

• 2CB1863E-1D41-4096-9616-0341BD15C9D7.jpg
    2CB1863E-1D41-4096-9616-0341BD15C9D7.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 3C9F7E14-4177-4558-932A-622BC902F993.jpg
    3C9F7E14-4177-4558-932A-622BC902F993.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25
Have you change the decor around lately?
I noticed my 7 inch pictus goes spastic after I move things around in the tank. Desperately looking for a place to hide. Before some other fish stakes out territory this does not seem to be the problem for you but ya never know...

As for the upside down things have you added this mollies lately they may have had worms the the pictus contracted?

Back
Top Bottom