Plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drebcaldo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone Im a bit new here and cant seem to figure kut whats going on in my heavily planted 75 gallon tank. Recently I noticed one of my. candycane tetras have a fuzzy cottonlike spot on his body. The next day he died this has recently gotten around to two more tetras and Im starting to get worried . My water paramters are all fine as well Ill include some pictures to allow everyone to try and help me. Its all appreciated in advanced thanks again! once the fishare affected they lose ability to swim well and i find them hiding on the bottom of the tank

Well, I have terrible news for you:

Sounds like columnaris.

You need to immediately remove any affected fish and euthanize them. This is a very severe pathogen, so treatment is pretty intense. Whatever you choose is going to require uprooting your plants, so.... Maybe get excited about a new aquascape?

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Super helpful article.

I went through this at the beginning of the year. Many people euthanize their entire stock, bleach the eff out of everything, and start over.

You can also try to keep the fish alive, but you have to destroy all bacteria in your tank.

I removed everything from the tanks and bleached it all. Euthanized fish as soon as they showed any signs of illness. I then treated with Furan-2 and Kanaplex followed by potassium permanganate. We purchased an Angels Plus active sponge filter to recycle the tank. These medications will destroy plants.

Sorry.

I was really hoping it wasn't this.... i had read up on it earlier today. Thanks again for your help.

QUOTE=nirbhao;3434850]http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Super helpful article.

I went through this at the beginning of the year. Many people euthanize their entire stock, bleach the eff out of everything, and start over.

You can also try to keep the fish alive, but you have to destroy all bacteria in your tank.

I removed everything from the tanks and bleached it all. Euthanized fish as soon as they showed any signs of illness. I then treated with Furan-2 and Kanaplex followed by potassium permanganate. We purchased an Angels Plus active sponge filter to recycle the tank. These medications will destroy plants.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Have never had, and don't know much about the disease. But know you have friends here for advice/moral support, we'll be here for you.

So sorry!

nirbhao..
Super good article, so you're super organized too. I can never remember where I read or hear information, hope we can help Op.

Thanks again everyone I did a large waterchange today and bought some of the items mentioned in that article I'll update everyone later as this progresses i already think another fish js showing initial signs so i quarantined him earliee as well.

Back
Top Bottom