Planaria and Nematodes...AAHHHH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK looks like I have them both....how do I get rid of these things....or are they not dangerous???

A link from a link on the stickies said to do a 25% PWC and dont feed for three days...

Anyone have experience to offer? I suppose if they are not harmful to the fish it's not so bad....but yuck....I have never seen this before....probably came in on my new plants. DARN IT! :evil:

I agree with Zagz. They are harmless but usually mean you are either overfeeding, under-cleaning, or a mixture of both. They are quite common, especially in planted tanks that don't get gravel vaccumed that often. Cut back on feedings and do some gravel vacs and you should see them diminish. :)

OK. This is in the new tank which has not been set up very long so I am sure it came in with the plants but I did a 40% PWC today. As long as they will not harm the fish I am not too concerned about it but it did freak me out at first.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

So if I just keep up on weekly water changes they will go away on their own, or at least not get to where it is really bothersome?

Yep, sounds like it probably came in with the plants, though nematodes and planaria are usually always present in our tanks they just don't ever amount to anything because they lack a food source. New tanks are always higher in nutrients than older tanks even if your nitrate reading doesn't show it.

I agree with you, just keep up on your weekly water changes (with gravel vac) and they should go away or diminish a lot.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom