Plattie trouble help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the bala which seems to be in more trouble. Not the best pic I know. He seems to have a lot of white spots on him just like the clown loach's did before they died. I added salt night with no noticeable changes. He hasn't eaten in 2 days & staying in the corner by the filter @ the top & hasn't moved much at all which isn't like him. Am I trying to cure an ick outbreak or is it the cycling process, I dnt know what's going on. Been told its ick & salt isn't helping. Was told its not cycled but I have nitrates present. Anyhow, I dnt think he's doing well.

image-4156943724.jpg

Corydoras and salt really dont do well unless its disolved first and added over the course of hours. Everyones experience is different though. Mine nearly died adding salt. It looked like they were struggling to breath. 50% change of water no more salt and back fo full health 2 days later. I now use 10 spoons dissolved in existing tank water and add back a cup at a time over a 2 hour space and now has no effect on them

Oh and do you have enough oxygen. Hanging near the top can be struggling to breath?

I would think so. The platty is doing same thing. I've got 2 filters running, half the top lid open, & a 14 in bubble bar which takes up 1/2 of the back of tank & air pump is rated higher than the gallon tank. I'm just having so many issues right now it's not funny. 1 step forward & 3 back. This stuff can't be this hard.

Your tank won't cycle with so many water changes, but if you need to do it to get your nitrates down and ammonia, then I guess you have to. But do 10% water change a day if you have dangerous readings. I'm not sure what else to say right now. How are your fish? Any symptoms?

Can you ask a local trusted aquarist at a local fish store? There are enzymes you can add to help cycle the tank. I would bring a water sample to them and get advice. Try to do that.

Back
Top Bottom