Platy acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new sunburst platy seems to just swim in place in weird spots and does this kinda wiggle thing, i cant really describe it but below is a video i took of it on youtube. i just want to know if i should be worried.
YouTube - Strange behavior

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). - I have no idea

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
-I cant and don't check this regularly but has never been a problem (i get it checked for free at petsmart once a week)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? - 10 gallons about 2 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. - crappy topfin10

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? - 3 ghost shrimp, 2 red wag platys, 1 sunburst platy, 1 striped catfish. all small no larger than an inch

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
- i do a water change on Wednesday and gravel vacuum on the weekend, i try not to take out more than 15%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
- the fish in question the sunburst platy has been in my tank for 4 days

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? -no

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? - just a topfin tropical blend and occasionally some frozen blood worms.

first off, you need to check your parameters regularly... Looks to me like ammonia may be the culprit just by the way the fish is swimming, or it could be stress. Id do a 50% pwc first off. How did you acclimate the fish?

Platty fish act much better in larger bodies of water. In my experience they seem to have strange die offs in smaller tanks even if the water is as good as it gets. If you can get a larger tank sometime the fish will perk up and they will act much less strange. I had some platties in my kids 10g and they just acted weird for months. When I put them into a larger tank they became active and happy. Truely an overnight turn around. I run my tanks more as how the fish/plants do rather than crunching numbers most of the time. Let the plants and fish tell you what to do rather than a set of pre determined numbers.

Yes i am looking into purchasing a new 29 ish gallon tank but it will take some time. I want a large school of platys :D. Well i guess an update on my fish would be that one in the video is dead and another one started acting the same way he did, i started a treatment of jungle anti-parasite tablets, just finished up the second dosage. they seem to be a lot better now. I also did the dosage on my tank of platy fry and so far no others have died. but my 3 ghost shrimp are angry because they are in a large glass vase XD (with an airstone).

Back
Top Bottom