Platy Death - Water Change??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbanner

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my platys died overnight. He was fine esterday night after a PWC (20%?) :sad: Treated water with Prime in the bucket before pouring gently in to tank.
I just removed him and checked my parameters (below). I examined him and saw no visible signs of disease.

My question is, should I do a water change, or will that be too traumatic for the other two platys in the tank??? They're not used to big/frequent water changes.

Poor guy. Honestly, he was the odd man out. I felt like the other two would hang out together and kind of be mean to this guy.

Tank info:
20 gallon standard / 78 degrees / medium planted (8-10 blyxa japonica, 6 italian val; some java moss; pothos growing out of HOB filter - not accessible to fish)
Am 0 / pH 7.6 / Ni 0 / Na 5
Been cycled for years and years. I just recently noticed some limpets (10 or so) in the tank. Maybe from the blyxa I just added back in September?
Two platys are now the only fish.
20-30% WC bi-weekly since it's planted. Remove uneaten food and fish waste that I can see with a turkey baster.
Food: flakes and the occassional Prime-treated blanched/squished up pea

Old age? Maybe just decided to give out.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The genetics if platy's like many other fish are weak from mass breeding and will sometimes just die. If nobody else is sick and your tank is stable then that is what I would say happened

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Thanks folks!! Do you think I should do a big water change or no? Platy was probably only deceased for a max 8 hours when I found him... I just don't want to shock the survivors.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will do... I really appreciate your help. Thx.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom