Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Platy disease?

I have lost 3 platys at different times to a strange sickness. Their back started curving, but they were still lively and active. However, as their spine started looking more curved, they became less lively. This lasted probably a month or so. They eventually just became very lethargic and passed away. I was really sad about it, because some of them I have had for a year and I was pretty attached to them.

I didn't test the ammonia levels when they were sick. After the third one died, I started testing the water. The ammonia was 0 and ph was 7.2.

I had never tested the water before because the pet store people told me it wasn't necessary. However, now I know I can't really trust the pet store because they told me I could add 6 fish to a 10 gallon after only running the tank for 3 days. Well, it was a disaster. Now I know the tank should have been cycling for a month and 6 fish added at the same time would cause a huge ammonia spike. Also, that's when the first two platys got the spine curving problem.

Strangely, though, the last platy that died had it when the tank was cycled for a year (however, I hadn't started testing the water yet) so I'm not sure why he got it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any ideas of why the died would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to lose anymore of them!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, possibly genetic if there was nothing else wrong with them. Were they all the same batch from the store? I do find they can get spine curvature when quite old but not sure that would apply to yours.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes, now that I think about it, the 3 platies were from the same store. I have another platy now, which I bought from a different store. She is very healthy and happy. So genetics must be the problem. Thank you for helping me figure this out!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Platy disease?

Sounds promising. Fingers crossed all goes well. I guess just post back if anything comes up or someone else may know more.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy_helen View Post
Yes, now that I think about it, the 3 platies were from the same store. I have another platy now, which I bought from a different store. She is very healthy and happy. So genetics must be the problem. Thank you for helping me figure this out!
It is called fish tuberlosis, genetics play a role in natural immunity, but just adding more fish may make them sick as well
There is no cure but to take the tank down and bleach it all, filters, heaters lid, everything

Tags
disease, platy, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com