Platy fry one dead others not doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peaceablegarden

Aquarium Advice Freak
My fry are almost 6 weeks old and have been in TANK 1 (see sig line). All parameters are wnl. Ammonia 0, NitrItes 0, NitrAtes 5, pH 6.4. The fry are in a nursery tank that floats in the larger tank (and uses the same water as the tank, there are small slits in the sides of it). They've been starting to look ill since the tank cycled. One has died and it looks like another is on it's way out. I've put two that weren't looking well into TANK 2 (day before yesterday and they seem to be doing well). Levels are almost cycled with parameters the same as TANK 1 except Ammonia which is at .25. I hesitate to put them in with the two adult Platies in TANK 1 b/c they seem that they still might get eaten. My best guess is that the space they're in is too small.

Is your pH normally that low? Could the pH be fluctuating and causing stress? Any physical signs of disease?

Have you done a water change? Sometime that is all you need to get the fish back to good health.

They may be suffering stress from being in a breeder's container. I'd put them in tank 2 and keep an eye on the parameters and see how that goes. As asked, is your ph stable or does it fluctuate?

Yes, I have been doing regular pwc. Last one was only a few days ago. No there has been no sign of physical disease. My pH has been steady for at least a couple of weeks. I suspected the same about being stressed from just being in a nursery that was growing too small for them. I've already put the rest of them in TANK 2 and they seem to be doing well. The ones who were not doing so well have perked up and the rest are okay so far too. In fact they seem to love the space. I orginally put two in TANK 2 now four or five days ago and they are still well. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll continue monitoring and doing pwc in TANK 2 as I have been.

Back
Top Bottom