Platy not eating, staying in the same spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrombopulosAndy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my Platys for 2 months and recently one of my males has stopped eating and stays still at the back of the tank behind the filter output with heavy breathing. He also has white/clear faeces that are much thicker than normal. The other 7 platies in my tank seem healthy and are very active.

This all comes soon after adding some new plants to the aquarium and switching to a new filter (I did add the older filter media to the new one without letting it dry out). Current water conditions are: 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10-20 ppm Nitrates, I'm currently performing 35% water changes twice a week until the new filter catches up.

On advice from my LFS I'm dosing with this stuff: https://www.ntlabs.co.uk/browse-products/indoor/aquariums/anti-fluke-wormer/ Although I'm skeptical if this is the correct treatment as I didn't think worms or flukes caused a loss of appatite.

The pictures below are of the sick platy. He has some dark marks on his head near his gills too, I can't remember if these were there before and all the other orange platies have the same marks so I'm unsure if I should worry about them or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_160655.jpg
    IMG_20191109_160655.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20191109_170527.jpg
    IMG_20191109_170527.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
Update: His abdomen seems to be a little more swollen today and his fins are a little ragged. He seems to be moving around a bit more, although not very quickly and seems to be having a bit more trouble staying still. Photo from today:
DSC02780.jpg

Unfortunately the platy died this afternoon. Upon closer inspection I couldn't spot anything obviously wrong apart from the darkening of some skin around his swolen belly and gills. I'm unsure what killed him and I'll be keeping a very close eye on the other fish in the tank. Thanks for your help.

:( Too bad , but you are right in watching the rest for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom