Platy - poop or parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Three weeks ago I picked up 4 platies from Petco. I know platies have a large bio-load so I thought this was just their big stringy poop. Two have since died and it's not from my water (0, 0, <10, 7.2.)

Do you think this is poop or do they have an internal parasite that I should treat? And if so how?

thanks!

img_1788564_0_a1f6ffe73f89b7b85568c42b8229ff1f.jpg

That looks like normal poop to me...
Could be the others died of stress in transport or bad stock?
Usually parasite ridden fish have stringy poop..

That looks like normal poop to me...
Could be the others died of stress in transport or bad stock?
Usually parasite ridden fish have stringy poop..

Thank you. I guess they're just living up to their reputation for big bio-loads.

How are your other two acting?

I know when I got my platys I was concerned about some sort of internal parasite becuase they had whitish to clear poop but after they destressed and started getting used to the new digs they are acting healthy and normal. IMO they seem to have a little more noticable reactions to stress than my other fish.

My tank is a 20H w/ Fluval 204 canister (rated at 180 gph).

Stats:
amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Ph: 7.2
temp: 76

Fish:
2 platy (1m, 1f) (originally 1m, 3f on 1/24/12)
1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
6 Pristella Tetra

Food: NLS Thera+A

All fish seem fine. I'm just concerned about the platy's enormous poop that can take an hour to pass. However, when it does hit bottom it does break up into little pieces like poop should.

All fish seem fine. I'm just concerned about the platy's enormous poop that can take an hour to pass. However, when it does hit bottom it does break up into little pieces like poop should.
My platy's do the same if that makes you feel better!

Back
Top Bottom