Platy poop - parasite? Ich? Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
20 gallon
0, 0, N3 15, ph 8.1, temp currently at 82 farhenheit, but normally 7.9

4 julii cories
2 platies - 1 male, 1 female
3 bleeding heart tetras
1 male guppy
1 dalmation Molly

Tank established for over 6 months and no new additions.

Recently I noticed my male platy having an abundance of poop. It is not stringy, but is on the whiter side with occasional dark parts. He has always pooped a bit more than the others, but not to this,extent.

He has what 1 white spot on his tail, but I can not tell if it is ich or a discoloration. He is not rubbing or hiding and I cannot tell if it is raised or not. I gave him a salt bath a couple days ago, but did not salt the tank because of the cories. I have treated the tank with parashield with the carbonated filter removed and use about 75% of recommended dosage because my bleeding hearts went nuts last time I tried treating. Therefore, I am slowly raising the temp.

So this guy has the most poop. I do feed the fish one smashed pea,every evening, but that is divided between all of them and the platy doesn't get a lot.

The guppy and mollie poop a much darker color and the female platy is in between. I never see the other fish poop, so I can't describe theirs, but they do poop.

Any ideas what is going on? To be clear, the poop is not stringy, thread-like. It has so thickness to it.

Uhh it might be fine. I would isolate him if possible or not treat until you see more symptoms.. From what you said, it might be nothing. Unless he is in a QT it would suck for the other fish to take his treatment too lol

You would probably be fine just leaving the tank as is and monitoring. Give us updates as this develops.

Uhh it might be fine. I would isolate him if possible or not treat until you see more symptoms.. From what you said, it might be nothing. Unless he is in a QT it would suck for the other fish to take his treatment too lol

You would probably be fine just leaving the tank as is and monitoring. Give us updates as this develops.

Thank you. My only problem is my QT is currently housing a bunch of platy fry. I could use a 1 gallon, which might be a little mean and it doesn't have a filter or heater. For the time being, I will observe, as you suggest and take further action if necessary.

I will discontinue the parashield. Honestly, I don't think it does anything anyway.

Thank you for your feedback.

No problem. And just an idea, but you should invest or make yourself a breeder box so you can place fry in so they are isolated but your QT is still open. This is of course not necessary, might help in the future though.

Glad I could help.

No problem. And just an idea, but you should invest or make yourself a breeder box so you can place fry in so they are isolated but your QT is still open. This is of course not necessary, might help in the future though.

Glad I could help.

Yes, I had no plan to have fry, it came as a surprise. I couldn't rehome all of them and am cycling a 20 gallon to move them into. Will probably by an endless issue, but that is the unfortunate story of what was once my QT :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom