Platy with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I suspect one of my Platies has fin rot. It's in a 33 gallon/ 128 liter tank with 2 other Platies, 5 Swordtails, 1 shrimp, and live plants. The water parameters as checked today should be fine (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates 0, pH 8,0 as it's always been). Today I noticed one of the Platies has a slightly sickly looking tailfin and ventral or pectoral fin: a little bit of the fin is missing, and the border is lighter in color than usual, but there is no fuzzy stuff or anything. She seems to be the only one affected, the other fish look fine (so far) and even the affected fish is acting normally.

How should I approach it? Separate the sick fish from the others for medication, treat the whole tank, or what? The problem is that my QT tank is populated by some new fish at the moment, and will be that way for at least 2 weeks. The only way to separate the sick fish would be to use some other container, like a bucket? I do have an extra airpump, but no extra filter or heater.

Hiya Sinuhe; sorry it took so long to get an answer - was away over the weekend!

If she is not looking too bad (and it sounds like she doesn't) see if you can find something called Melafix over there. Its a mild antibiotic made from Teatree oil; is great stuff for minor fin rot. It won't mess up the nitrifying bacteria at all (smells a bit tho LOL). I'd try it for 5-6 days and only go for more serious meds if it does not heal or looks worse.

Thanks for the reply :)

I don't think we have Melafix available here, what company makes it? The day after posting that, I also noticed another Platy and one Swordtail having slight signs of fin rot. I performed a partial water change that day (routine), and then went and bought a medicine called Furanol by JBL. After I read the stuff about it destroying the nitrifying bacteria and such, I decided to wait and see what happens without it. For 2 days I have seen no progress, the fish are acting normally, no new fish have been affected. Am I playing a risky game? I'd just rather not mess up the aquarium if this is something that might go away on its own. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and if things seem to get worse, I'll use the medicine.

Hi,

I use Melafix on every problem! Anyway, it's made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc.

I'm pretty sure I have a recipe for making your own on the other computer; when I'm on there later I'll grab it. Do you think you could get a hold of some tea tree oil? Its sold in many health (food, vitamins, stuff like that) type stores here.

If not, keep him in clean fresh water as much as possible; sometimes thats all thats needed to help a fish heal. And keep an eye on him; if it starts to look worse Melafix wouldn't help anyway - you'd need a stronger antibiotic.

I'm pretty sure I could get a hold of some tea tree oil :) I'll have to go look.

The situation is still stable, none of them is getting worse, no new fish infected.

Back
Top Bottom