Please HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njordsdomain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, everyone,

I have really had a rough go of it these past few months setting up a 25G freshwater tank. If anyone has ANY idea what is happening to my fish, I'd love some answers (I've searched books, websites, and forums in abundance).

1. So far, I've lost 2 dwarf gourami, 1 honey gourami, and ~20 neon tetras. The only survivors are nerite snails, a clown pleco, and a honey gourami who ain't looking so hot. All fish begin with lethargic, anti-social behavior, not eating, and then die within 24 hours of showing symptoms (though the honey gourami lasted 5 days). No white spots visible, no bloats, no loss of color.
2. Tank parameters are as follows: Ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrates 0, temp 82-degrees F, pH 7.5.
3. The tank is a 25G and has been set up for about 2 months. Added 10 neons, 1 dwarf gourami, nerites, and one clown pleco after about a week of cycle (not the best cycle, I now know). First death occurred in a neon (day 1), then a dwarf gourami died a week later. Then the tetras were knocked off one-by-one. I let the tank cycle for a week, then added a few more neons. They died one-by-one starting after 24 hours. Let the tank cycle another week, then added tetras. They did okay. Added 2 honey gouramis and a dwarf gourami. The dwarf lasted a day, the tetras all died, then one of the honeys died.
4. The filtration came with the tank, a Fluval 25G Accent.
5. Only ones left are my poor honey, the nerites (4), and the clown pleco.
6. I did a water change today, about 30%. I typically do 20% once a week, and did more, smaller ones once the fish started acting weird after each stocking experience.
7. My pleco is 2 months in the tank, as are the snails. The honey has been in the tank about a week and a half. They were acclimated by letting sit in the water for 45 minutes then added to the tank.
8. There's nothing new to the decor since set up. It contains 2 fish-decorations, many live plants, and a couple of pieces of driftwood.
9. The diet has been high quality flakes and pellets since day one.

It sounds like the tank wasn't cycled yet and you added a bunch of fish at the same time.

82 degrees is a little on the warm side. 75-78 degrees is about the median range for most fish keepers. Warmer temps. translates to less oxygen in the water. Less oxygen means lethargic fish or dead ones. Warm water requires extra aeration Using a bubble wand or adjusting your water level to allow more surface agitation by your filter will greatly contribute to aeration. Neon tetras are very fragile, water condition sensitive fish. It's not unusual to lose some of those in new tank environments.
My advice is to either lower the temp. to the noted median range or increase aeration. Buy a few inexpensive tough fish like tiger barbs or zebra fish, and see how they do. It looks like you are doing all the right things regarding maintenance. It will eventually balance out. Good luck.

It sounds like the tank wasn't cycled yet and you added a bunch of fish at the same time.

I agree from what I read so far... seems like the cycle was rushed and too many fish added at once at the start.

Back
Top Bottom