Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobaFin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning to find my new comet goldfish out of the tank, I have no idea what happened and I am panicing a little. He is still breathing and active, but is having a hard time swimming. His dorsal fin is gone, and his back fin is stiff. Here is s before and after picture. Please help.

Attachments

• 20200712_214354.jpg
    20200712_214354.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200713_103409.jpg
    20200713_103409.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi bobafin

Im not much of a goldfish man, but from your post history nobody else seems to be helping you out, so ill help out if i can.

I cant find anywhere from your previous posts where you have given us your water parameters. Do you have them? If not i would get a test kit asap and let us know what they are (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate as a minimum). It might help steer us to what is wrong. Is it possible your tank isnt cycled? Or if it is, could the new fish have caused a mini cycle?

Ive heard of goldfish losing tails and fins in the mechanics or waterflow of the filter. Might that have happened? What type of filter do you have?

He is doing much better now, swimming around and being active.

Hi bobafin

Im not much of a goldfish man, but from your post history nobody else seems to be helping you out, so ill help out if i can.

I cant find anywhere from your previous posts where you have given us your water parameters. Do you have them? If not i would get a test kit asap and let us know what they are (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate as a minimum). It might help steer us to what is wrong. Is it possible your tank isnt cycled? Or if it is, could the new fish have caused a mini cycle?

Ive heard of goldfish losing tails and fins in the mechanics or waterflow of the filter. Might that have happened? What type of filter do you have?

First off, thank you so much for helping me. I tested my water 2 days ago and everything seems to be normal. My tank has been cycling for a little over a month now, and I currently have a fungal treatment going through the water for my Oranda goldfish (since pet stores have a reputation of selling me ill fish) My filter is an aqua tech 5-15 filter and It used to have a double sponge filter in it too but it didnt work too well so I recently took it out.

If your aquarium hasnt finished cycling i would be testing water everyday, doing 25% water change if there is any detectable ammonia or nitrite. Given your fish has lost a fin, keeping pristine water conditions is even more of a priority.

Could you give us your water parameters? I often see people say they are fine, but when they post them, turns out they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom