Please help! *dead fish photos warning*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roboto87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there

I posted for help yesterday with my sick platy but didn't receive any advice - I've now lost one of my platys but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to prevent this happening again.

Stats are:

30L BioOrb tank

5 months old, cycled

3 platys (was 4)

2 Yamato shrimp

PH 7.5/8

Nitrates 0.0

Ammonia 0.0

I do partial water changes every week and everything has been fine. I went away for 3 days and noticed one of my fish was very sick (hence my last post). I don't know the cause of death or now how to prevent this happening again. The platy was the alpha and was the biggest in the tank - he was about 2/3 months old from the pet store. I apologise for the graphic images of the dead fish - but I want to know a) what could have been the cause and b) how to prevent it happening again...

Any hell would be appreciated - the fish if you can see almost looks like he's lost one of his eyes some of his fins have rotted and he looks like he has a small black like hole into his stomach? Does anyone know why he died?

Please help!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403510768.132007.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403510792.186368.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403510809.759751.jpg

( ? ? )

It could possibly be Columnaris based on the white spot on his upper stomach. I would put in aquarium salt and do a water change ASAP

Hi there

I posted for help yesterday with my sick platy but didn't receive any advice - I've now lost one of my platys but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to prevent this happening again.

Stats are:

30L BioOrb tank

5 months old, cycled

3 platys (was 4)

2 Yamato shrimp

PH 7.5/8

Nitrates 0.0

Ammonia 0.0

I do partial water changes every week and everything has been fine. I went away for 3 days and noticed one of my fish was very sick (hence my last post). I don't know the cause of death or now how to prevent this happening again. The platy was the alpha and was the biggest in the tank - he was about 2/3 months old from the pet store. I apologise for the graphic images of the dead fish - but I want to know a) what could have been the cause and b) how to prevent it happening again...

Any hell would be appreciated - the fish if you can see almost looks like he's lost one of his eyes some of his fins have rotted and he looks like he has a small black like hole into his stomach? Does anyone know why he died?

Please help!!

View attachment 241165View attachment 241166View attachment 241167

( ? ? )

The lost eye and fins look like he's been partially eaten after he died. Do your other fish look sick? The fluctuating ph could also be a problem. I would try to stabilize the ph and see
What's causing the changes. Ph shock can kill seemingly healthy fish. I'm no vet though just a thought.

My other fish look fine - I do have 2 shrimps which, being scavengers/ bottom feeders you're right they could have partially eaten him. I'm just reading up about columnaris and it mentions about carbon filteration needs to be stopped during treatment with aquarium salt.

Things here to consider:

• I added active carbon to my filter about 2 weeks ago to rid the water of the 'yellow' tint from the tanning of the big wood.

• it's been increasingly hot in my apartment and when I got back the temperature in the tank was around 84F

So I'm thinking ill do a 50% water change today. Should I consider removing the carbon from the filter?

( ? ? )

I did a 50% water change and I've removed the carbon from my filter and added a health guard just as a precaution. I will post on here in a few days/ weeks with an update.
All the fish appear fine I'll keep testing the water as I go.

Thanks

( ? ? )

Back
Top Bottom