PLEASE HELP - Goldfish, ICK, and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I just discovered white spots on my fantail goldfish's tail. I had added a new goldfish recently so I'm certain it's from him/his water. Won't be doing that again without QT. They are the only fish in a 20 gallon tank...before anyone lectures me on the size of the tank, they are very small for now. Approx 3" long if you lined them up end to end. I'll be moving in 4 mos and plan to get a larger tank once I move. Tank is cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Ph 7.6. Temp currently 70 degrees.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and it appears the first thing to try is raising the temp and adding Aquarium salt. So, I've added a heater, but opinions on what temperature vary. I've seen anything from 74-86 degrees. That brings to my first question.

1.) What temperature should I raise it to?

I've also read various information regarding the amount of salt. It's either 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons OR 1tsp per gallon. That is quite a difference. For example, for a 20 gallon tank there is difference of 8 tsp. just seems like a lot of salt difference. Second question..

2.) 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons? Or 1 teaspoon per gallon?

I am also unsure of water changes...

3.) Should I still be doing them while I'm treating with heat and salt? I've read everything from no water changes for 2 weeks to changing 25% every other day.

4.) Do I need to remove the carbon from my filter?

5.) What are your opinions on ick medications? When is it necessary to bring in the big guns?

Finally, I understand ICK is very contagious. I use the same hose for water changes and refills for all three of my tanks. So far no signs of ick in the others. But...

6.) Are there any preventive measures I should be taking with the other tanks? One is a community tank, the other a betta tank.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you wanted to be extra "safe" you could keep using the hose only on that tank and use buckets for the other tanks.

I'm not sure how much heat goldfish can take... At 86 degrees the Ich will stop reproducing. At 89-90 degrees the ick just dies (but it's dangerous because most fish cannot take that much heat).

I never used salt when I had ich, I just let it run its course.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I had to keep goldfish with my mollies for a short time due to a crack in one of the tanks. The water was around 80-82 degrees and the goldfish didn't seem phased at all. They are comets. Worth a try anyway :)

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Gold fish can tolerate temps as high as 90 degrees so I would try to raise it slowly to 88 but warm water has less oxygen so you need to add more surface agitation and more oxygen also if you use the heat treatment don't add any meds to the water because they will lower the oxygen level further. As with any treatment keep an eye on the fish and if they show any signs of distress because of the temp. lower it back down slowly.

Back
Top Bottom