Please help me identify this illness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianaeisenbart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could some one help me identify what's this, I lost 3 fish already but now I have a fourth one that it has visible signs of illness ( white cotton like patches and her side and on her eye) I'm attaching pictures . Please help me I don't whant to loose them all. I have being doing 25 to 30 % water changes every week, my levels are good, temp 76*.

image-2009301528.jpg

image-2742904774.jpg

Looks like ich (pronounced ick ) I would quarantine the ones that look sick straight away before more get. There is medicine for it from pet shops. One of my fish had it I removed it that day and none of my other fish ever got it but that fish ended up dying because I didn't know about the medicine

I am unsure from the pictures. Does it look like the fish was sprinkled with salt? Or is it like a raised and fungusy kind of look?

When I had to treat for ich I just slowly raised the temp and used salt for 2 weeks after the last sign of ich. If you have inverts or plants, salt is a no no. Some people have just raised the temp and were rid of ich because it makes their life cycle go quicker.

But if it isn't ich there's different options. Better pics could help me... Unless someone else knows for sure.

Sorry I tried to take a better picture today but I couldn't they come up blurry , I don't think is ich because I had it before (I treated it on time with meds) and it looks different this time it looks like raised fungusy white algae or cotton like things were growing on the right side yesterday even the eye had that thing , there is another fish sad today she doesn't have does white things growing but she is hiding and her tail looks shorter like part of it is gone, so far one tetra and two platies died and two more platies are sick at this point I'm sure I need to treat the whole tank, yesterday I went to the acuario store and they recommended me to buy Maracyn- oxy suppose to be good for common bacterial, fungal and viral infections. They said it was safe for everybody but today two of my three shrimp died, I moved the third one to a flower base I put aqua safe and a plant to hide. I don't know if I should take my snails out too, they seem to be normal active and eating . Should I set up another tank and move the sick fish there? I have another 10 gallon tank that I can set up. The medicine seems to be helping the one that I have isolated her eye looks better and it seems to have less white fungus or cotton or whatever it is. Thanks I appreciate every bodies comments.

Hm... If your water params are good I wonder what is going on. Any bullying? How many fish do u have in your 10 gal?

I'm not great with giving advise on meds because I've never used them. If any of my fish were sick I would maintain maintain maintain my tank, made sure params were perfect, depending on the problem, daily water changes, n just kept the water clean. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.

Sounds like you do have a fungus with the one fish and the other may have fin rot. With fin rot, it's usually due to bad water parameters so I'd keep an eye on that with frequent water changes.

Hm... If your water params are good I wonder what is going on. Any bullying? How many fish do u have in your 10 gal?

I'm not great with giving advise on meds because I've never used them. If any of my fish were sick I would maintain maintain maintain my tank, made sure params were perfect, depending on the problem, daily water changes, n just kept the water clean. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.

Sounds like you do have a fungus with the one fish and the other may have fin rot. With fin rot, it's usually due to bad water parameters so I'd keep an eye on that with frequent water changes.

Thanks, I'm doing water changes every week 30 to 40% and this past weekend I did 50% . I have 12 fish now and 2 snails but it's a 55 g tank.

Back
Top Bottom