Please help me my betta is acting weird.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatfishyUwU

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I came to my room and my bettas bottom fin is chewed up really bad he has always nibbles his fin but it was never this bad I have 4 guppies with him but it has never been a problem they stay away from him because they now who is in charge my betta is also acting skittish he is never skittish he was resistant to come if to the glass when he saw me but he always comes to the glass can someone please tell me what is wrong with him.

From your profile it looks like your new to the aquarium game. Read this it's about the nitrogen cycle which is a must know if you will be keeping fish.

https://fishlab.com/nitrogen-cycle/

After that give us information on your aquarium size and how long it's been up.

It looks like alot but with the knowledge you will get the hang of it in no time

If I completely misjudged the situation and you know what your expierenced, I then feel like an idiot and I'm sorry

Guppies and bettas are not good tank mates. All of your bettas behavior issues are due to the guppies constantly nipping his fins and bullying him. It will continue until they are separated. Bettas will do fine alone or with snails.

Guppies could be fin nipping your betta OR he could be self-biting- this might be due to stress... Stress could be from sharing his territory with the guppies. Either way, sounds like you need to separate them.

I came to my room and my bettas bottom fin is chewed up really bad he has always nibbles his fin but it was never this bad I have 4 guppies with him but it has never been a problem they stay away from him because they now who is in charge my betta is also acting skittish he is never skittish he was resistant to come if to the glass when he saw me but he always comes to the glass can someone please tell me what is wrong with him.
Fin nipping is most commonly caused from stress. I would guess it is his tank mates or bad water condition? What are the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, levels etc? What is his water temp? What do you feed him? What tank size? You need a bare min of a 3 gallon for tank mates. I would suspect its the guppies nipping him, and not him nipping himself. You may not see it happen, but guppies can nip.

Fin nipping is most commonly caused from stress. I would guess it is his tank mates or bad water condition? What are the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, levels etc? What is his water temp? What do you feed him? What tank size? You need a bare min of a 3 gallon for tank mates. I would suspect its the guppies nipping him, and not him nipping himself. You may not see it happen, but guppies can nip.
If he is in a 1 gallon (only for old Betta's who can't find food properly in a 2.5-10g or for betta fry) he can't have tank mates at all.

My guppies stay away from my betta they now he is the boss of the tank
OK. But I'm telling you that's the issue. It's the guppies are nipping his long flowing fins. He to slow to defend himself. And his introverted behavior is indicative of that. You asked for help, and 2 ppl have given you insight on the problem. If you have a different theory than I wish you the best of luck validating it

Thank you connor31556 after seeing the website I now what is wrong the food brand I am using is growing mold at the bottom of my tank and is relishing ammonia I will need to change my my fish food brand the one I am using right now is called Nutrafin Max I am now suggesting that you don’t use this fish food brand it has caused chaos in my tank thank you all for the advice and may the fish keeping be you!

Thank you connor31556 after seeing the website I now what is wrong the food brand I am using is growing mold at the bottom of my tank and is relishing ammonia I will need to change my my fish food brand the one I am using right now is called Nutrafin Max I am now suggesting that you don’t use this fish food brand it has caused chaos in my tank thank you all for the advice and may the fish keeping be you!
Really? You think the brand of fish food is causing your fish to chew on its own fins?

That's good that u notice the food is molding at the bottom but the molding food isnt the main problem. When that food sits there it creates ammonia. Your problem is your tank doesnt have enough beneficial bacteria to deal with that ammonia and turn it into nitrates. You need to go to the store and get some prime and a test kit. Please listen to the other people talking in here there just trying to help. Keeping fish is not just putting them in a bowl with water!

Yes I have cleaned out the tank and they are doing a lot better now I also got some shrimp to help me with the algae I n my tank and my snail isn’t cleaning the floor so they help with that to and my betta isn’t bothering them. Now my tank floor isn’t disgusting I am planning to give them more hiding spots this weekend and I got some new food for my fish and some for my shrimp. My betta is making a bubble nest so he must be a lot happier. Thank you for all the support and suggestions may the fish keeping be with you! ☺️

Yes I have cleaned out the tank and they are doing a lot better now I also got some shrimp to help me with the algae I n my tank and my snail isn’t cleaning the floor so they help with that to and my betta isn’t bothering them. Now my tank floor isn’t disgusting I am planning to give them more hiding spots this weekend and I got some new food for my fish and some for my shrimp. My betta is making a bubble nest so he must be a lot happier. Thank you for all the support and suggestions may the fish keeping be with you! [emoji3526]
Awesome! Great to hear!

Back
Top Bottom